Sacrament (3 Nephi 18:6-7, 3 Nephi 18:11)

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
AmyJ

Sacrament (3 Nephi 18:6-7, 3 Nephi 18:11)

Post by AmyJ »

3 Nephi 18:6-7
"And this shall ye always observe to do, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you.
And this shall ye do in a remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you."

3 Nephi 18:11
"And this shall ye always do to those who repent and are baptized in my name; and ye shall do it in remembrance of my blood, which I have shed for you, that ye may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you."

For me, when reading this version of the sacrament prayers as given by Jesus Christ to the Nephites, I wound up taking a more literal interpretation.

If/As we remember Jesus Christ and His sacrifices for us, I think we align our choices towards Jesus Christ and his teachings, so it feels like He is walking with us in our choices. We draw ourselves closer to Him. I used to always take these words to mean that we would qualify for having the Holy Ghost walk with us and guide us, but now I am open to a simpler explanation.

I don't know what the sacrament means to me at this point in my life. I think at the basic level, it is an opportunity to reflect on past choices and resolve/plan how to do better spiritually. Maybe a spiritual New Year's Eve equivalent?

What does the sacrament mean to you now? How did the meaning of the ritual of the sacrament change during your faith crisis/transition process?
dande48

Re: Sacrament (3 Nephi 18:6-7, 3 Nephi 18:11)

Post by dande48 »

I still partake, and very much appreciate partaking in the sacrament, even though I don't subscribe to a literal belief. I appreciate the symbolism of taking a part of Christ, through His sacrifice, and making it a part of myself. I also enjoy, like you said, the opportunity to reflect on the past week.

There's a third part to the sacrament, that has particular meaning to me. Before the time of Christ, many of our "pagan" ancestors and tribes worshiped a "Corn King" archetype, which has many interesting ties to Christ. The holiday, "Lammas" is still practiced today over in Europe, to celebrate the sacrifice of this "Corn King" God, by participating in a sacrament-like ritual. Some of the Gods that were "Corn King" archetypes include Dumuzid (Mesopotamia), Osiris (Egyptian), Lugh (Celtic), Adonis (Greek), and Dionysus (also Greek). All of them share very similar themes, Dionysus especially. The "Corn King" is a God who dies, so his followers may live. And so must each of us sacrifice and one day die, so that those who come after us can live.
Last edited by dande48 on 01 Mar 2018, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

AmyJ wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 07:00 What does the sacrament mean to you now? How did the meaning of the ritual of the sacrament change during your faith crisis/transition process?
I find much more more meaning and symbolism in the sacrament post-faith crisis. This is one of those areas where my faith is stronger than previously. I could go on for quite a bit about the sacrament, but suffice it to say I see is as the "Bread of Life" and the "Living Water." It is the 10 minutes in the week where I have nothing else I need to do except remember the Savior - as he asked - and his atonement. In my view I am not "renewing my covenants," rather I am renewing my relationship with the Savior and if anything I am making a new covenant to always remember him and take his name (like in a family). One final thought: there is no "if" in either of the prayers.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I see it much like DJ - and his last point is important to me.

The wording focuses on being blessed for being willing to do things - NOT for always succeeding in doing things and not for doing things perfectly.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot »

I appreciate both DJ’s and Curt’s statements; given me a new perspective to consider and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons
richalger

Post by richalger »

Old Timer wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 12:57 blessed for being willing to do things - NOT for always succeeding in doing things and not for doing things perfectly.
Amen