JS Bible translation

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Cnsl1

JS Bible translation

Post by Cnsl1 » 22 Jan 2018, 00:31

Did anyone see this?

http://jur.byu.edu/?p=21296

SamBee

Re: JS Bible translation

Post by SamBee » 22 Jan 2018, 02:42

Cnsl1 wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 00:31
Did anyone see this?

http://jur.byu.edu/?p=21296
Not until now. I have always seen the JST as more of a commentary and clarification than a "translation" in the sense of the BOM & POGP. Though some bits are heavily reworked, but others - quite large pieces of the Bible - are left alone.

My cynical side would like to remind you that the RLDS/COC owns the JST which is probably why we hardly use it in our denomination.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Jan 2018, 07:37

Thanks for sharing. I also didn't see it before now. I'm with Sam on this one.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dande48

Post by dande48 » 22 Jan 2018, 08:24

I remember growing up my TBM mother told me we don't use the JS Translation, because the RLDS Church owns it and probably made changes to support their views. What I find interesting, is that JS "corrected" certain bible passages, that were also quoted in the BOM using the original JKV translation. Hence, if the bible needed correcting, the BOM needs it too.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 22 Jan 2018, 08:32

dande48 wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 08:24
I remember growing up my TBM mother told me we don't use the JS Translation, because the RLDS Church owns it and probably made changes to support their views. What I find interesting, is that JS "corrected" certain bible passages, that were also quoted in the BOM using the original JKV translation. Hence, if the bible needed correcting, the BOM needs it too.
I did see something that said the RLDS DID own the JST, but that has expired. That probably at least played a part in why the Brighamite church stayed/stays away. But the more I dove down into it the more this goes into the "makes no sense" pile, which is quite big. Even before my faith crisis I had a hard time with the BOM being "the most correct book", then some of the KJV showing up word for word in the BOM, THEN the JST changed those same verses. :crazy: With the latest finding that it seems like the JST may have been "inspired" by another bible commentary from his time just moves it solidly into that pile - enough that I don't need to even think of re-investigating that one..

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Jan 2018, 10:15

Very interesting. This is perhaps another confirmation that JS was willing to use and incorporate many available sources in his restoration work.

I once had a JST from the 1960's and one from 2000's. The earlier one began with quotes from early church fathers like Origen of Alexandria on the errors and omissions in the bible text. This was to establish a need for a revelatory correction or "restoration" of the text. The JST from the 2000's began with an essay from the RLDS church historian that suggested that the JST was less of a restoration of lost knowledge and more of an inspired commentary to the KJV version of the bible. It certainly appeared that the RLDS church no longer hold the JST out to be canonical.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

gospeltangents

Post by gospeltangents » 22 Jan 2018, 20:20

That's news to me, but I'd say that is major admission. I may have to get in touch with the authors!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 23 Jan 2018, 15:52

I've thought the church was wanting to look like other respectable christian churches and believe in the KJV as it is, and believing there is more in addition to it. But, maybe we'll be better liked if we share bible beliefs.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."