Priesthood blessing of healing

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Roy

Priesthood blessing of healing

Post by Roy » 09 Jan 2018, 08:53

Why do we use consecrated oil for blessings of healing?
Why does a second individual need to "seal" the anointing?

What is the biblical precedent?
Does this sort of thing happen in any other churches?
Any ideas?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

NightSG

Re: Priesthood blessing of healing

Post by NightSG » 09 Jan 2018, 09:47

Roy wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 08:53
Why do we use consecrated oil for blessings of healing?
Consecrated grease is too hard to wash out of the hair later.

James 5:14-15 is probably the closest thing in the Bible to the current practice.

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 09 Jan 2018, 21:57

I don't have any scriptures for it, but I have heard a few people say some things about it. I think it might have been in an Ensign article actually.

Olive oil is symbolic of the Atonement. (Connection to Gethsemane, an olive vineyard with a name that literally translates to oil press.) It's traditionally done with extra virgin olive oil, symbolizing further purity. I don't know why the second individual seals the anointing, but it's not something that's required in case of emergency. Maybe it's in reference to the separateness of the Godhead?

I wouldn't be surprised if other churches used olive oil for a similar purpose, especially looking at history. Then again, olive oil has historically been used for a lot of different things, from lighting lamps to... uhhh... lubricant.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 10 Jan 2018, 05:37

Theory time:

Mark 6:13: And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

James 514-15: Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

The LDS church was a restorationist movement. I get the feeling that restorationists are predisposed to comb through scripture looking for incorrect or lost practices and teachings so they can restore them. If there's an obscure passage in the bible about anointing with oil or a passage about celestial bodies like the sun, the moon, and stars, a restorationist is going to do what restorationists do; restore the practice or come up with an explanation.

That's the impression I get from the early days of the church. There were already many questions without answers centered around obscure biblical passages, what people lacked was someone that spoke for god to give definitive answers.

Why the second person? The scripture in James pluralizes elder. Elders. Let them pray. Plus the other scripture, wherever two or three are gathered in my name. Dividing the ordinance into two stages may have been simply to give the other person something to do other than stand there.
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Jan 2018, 06:33

Yes it does happen to some extent in some churches though less commonly. In the Orthodox church it is called Chrismation.
Last edited by SamBee on 12 Jan 2018, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Jan 2018, 13:11

The Greek Orthodox Church has a number of similarities to the LDS Church that are fascinating. Healing blessings is one of those similarities.

nibbler' expnantion is spot-on, imo.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dande48

Post by dande48 » 11 Jan 2018, 15:03

My guess, is the oil's a physical catalyst for a spiritual blessing. Most rituals make strong use of physical catalysts, to help concentrate our mind and increase our faith towards the desired outcome. Just like with the bread and water of the sacrament, or being submerged in baptism. Or with the anointing of "holy water" in Catholicism. There's really nothing special about the bread or water, but used in spiritual rite, it compounds our faith, and reinforces our ability to feel the affects and spirit of the ordinance.

The two priesthood holders also help to reinforce faith. If two people confirm you're going to get better, you're faith will increase over having just one.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 Jan 2018, 15:08

dande48 wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 15:03
Most rituals make strong use of physical catalysts, to help concentrate our mind and increase our faith towards the desired outcome. Just like with the bread and water of the sacrament, or being submerged in baptism. Or with the anointing of "holy water" in Catholicism. There's really nothing special about the bread or water, but used in spiritual rite, it compounds our faith, and reinforces our ability to feel the affects and spirit of the ordinance.
I agree with this explanation.

It then takes some level of faith to support the idea that doing it any other way is not valid. When...I'm not sure God cares, except for the exercise of faith in something (could be anything..but something).
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 11 Jan 2018, 15:50

I think a mash-up of both nibbler's and dande's explanations is a good one.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were any ancient thoughts on the healing properties of olive oil either.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Jan 2018, 07:27

My guess on the sealing of the blessing is that it might have something to do with the scripture that said that Peter had the power to seal in heaven whatever he sealed on earth. So a blessing that is sealed by someone with the priesthood on earth is symbolic of affirmation/ratification of the blessing in heaven by God.

The kicker is that we all know it's roulette whether the blessings actually come to pass. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and its often hard to make the right attribution for why they come to pass if they do.

I like what Brian Johnson said -- they comfort people, in whatever form -- as a comfort or healing blessing. And this is in ways that simple words, unattended by priesthood ceremony often don't. In that sense they have intrinsic value even though there may be no real divine innerworkings under the hood.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576