Going to Church by Loomis

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

Going to Church by Loomis

Post by SamBee » 17 Oct 2017, 16:15

Andrew Loomis (1892-1959), "Going to Church" - the image of wealthy white American Protestants of the mid-twentieth century.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Re: Going to Church by Loomis

Post by nibbler » 18 Oct 2017, 06:37

Going to Church, 2017
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

Roy

Post by Roy » 18 Oct 2017, 09:04

I perceive a distancing from the dogma, stuffiness, and hypocrisy of classical American Christian religion.

I hear it derogatorily referred to as "doing church."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 18 Oct 2017, 12:03

The loomis picture is "La Choix du Roi" [the choice of a king] -- a son to transmit the kingdom, and a daughter for expansion.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 18 Oct 2017, 13:57

Interesting interpretation. The girl has the nicest outfit if the four of them.

What's striking is how close it is to how we LDS are now!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 19 Oct 2017, 18:17

The only difference is that our women now wear brighter colors, knee-length skirts, any shoes they want, and can wear just about any top as long as it isn't a graphic tee.

Men's church style... Hasn't changed. It's as stuffy and conservative as ever.

PS: Nibbler, you seem to like Chris Farley. You referenced Tommy Boy in another thread. It's my favorite comedy of all time.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Willhewonder

Post by Willhewonder » 22 Oct 2017, 18:32

Wow. what a picture. I remember driving through Vermont and New Hampshire about 25 years ago on conference weekend. In a small town, church was just getting out and a woman and a small girl were leaving a Protestant church and walking across a lawn, white gloves and all, looking like they very well could have walked right out of this picture by Loomis. What a memory stamped in my mind. This brought it back vividly. Thanks for posting it.