Hello, my name is Longbottom...

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
longbottom

Hello, my name is Longbottom...

Post by longbottom »

The most serious faith crisis of my life began a few months ago. I have no problem with church doctrine or historical issues, fine with JS, fine with Book of Abraham, fine with just about everything. Except that I couldn't stand God and "His ways" (It's a long story. I had serious father issues growing up, and am a middle-aged man now). My faith in God degraded until a few days ago, I broke down and told my TBM (but open-minded) wife all about my issues. She was immensely supportive, and agreed that I had every reason to feel the ways I do. She gave me space and understanding, and I know that not all have the advantage of such a supportive spouse! Two days ago, I found StayLDS. It changed my life immediately. I had no idea that there so were many others with the exact same issues as me! Needless to say, I've been reading a LOT.

I knew I didn't want to leave the church, but what choice did I have since I couldn't even pray anymore without getting angry? StayLDS has shown me that there is a place for me in the church, even if I am struggling with some things. I want to thank those current and past contributors who have helped me to understand and embrace a new world of depth and understanding about how we wanderers can still find a place in a religious culture that is part of who we are, whether we love it or hate it, and whether we are "all in" or not.

I hope to share more of my story over time here, as it's an interesting (if not squeamish at times) life history, and one that others who have encountered childhood trauma and are still having issues as an adult may relate with. I have found that for myself and for many child victims, it's even that much harder to see God as anything but punitive in nature. And there are some bad people in the church (and good people who naively say or do damaging things) whos actions have dire consequences for their victims' spiritual well-being. Especially when the damage is when they are young.

Again, looking forward to participating. I love the attitude of love and acceptance here. Even though it's mostly anonymous, it's refreshing to see so many who are suffering be able to have a place to feel welcome.
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Hello, my name is Longbottom...

Post by Heber13 »

Glad you are here to join the conversations. Welcome!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."
Roy

Post by Roy »

Welcome Longbottom,
I am glad that you decided to join the conversation. I am very sorry for your formative experiences and I agree that our vision of God is heavily influenced by our relationship with our parents.

I pray that you can find a measure of peace in sharing your story and in taking a more purposeful role in redefining your understanding of God.

Roy
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Beefster

Post by Beefster »

Welcome to the forum. I hope the best in your quest for peace and new perspectives.

I'm not sure this relates at all, but one of my personal points of my current faith crisis is the obedience narrative. It doesn't jive well with my personal understanding of God as someone who wants us to figure things out for ourselves and make our own choices. I don't like much of the Old Testament primarily due to it portraying God as a petty, obedience-obsessed punisher of rebellious souls. I also think most of Genesis is allegory or hyperbole.

I wish there were more places to turn for faith crisis support. I opened up to my ARP group yesterday, but that's about it. I can't bring it up with my mom; any time I show even the slightest sign of apostasy, she spirals into a vortex of worry.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Welcome Longbottom! Happy you could join us. I look forward to hearing the rest of your story; past, present and future.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

Welcome Longbottom! I hope you find some peace in your life and I hope this site helps.

Your few sentences do remind me of something I recall hearing. It was that people often frame God in the way that their parent (especially their father) is. So someone with a very loving and lenient parent generally pictures God the same and someone that has a harsh and/or punishing father will think of God as harsh and punishing.

Pardon my arm-chair therapy, but I do think that therapy can be very helpful and it seems like you have some deep issues. I do hope you can heal.

And tell your wife you love her so much for her wonderful reaction.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Welcome. I think my story is similar to yours. I never had a problem with history, BoM, BoA, JS, etc., and I really still don't although I view them differently than I once did. When I first came here I called what my problems were "doctrinal." But they weren't that either - they are really cultural. Once I discovered I don't have to believe in the God of the Lost Car Keys and many other things associated with culture/tradition/etc., church became a whole lot easier.

I agree with you, this is a great little branch of the church. I hope to hear more from you.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

longbottom wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 13:58 I hope to share more of my story over time here, as it's an interesting (if not squeamish at times) life history, and one that others who have encountered childhood trauma and are still having issues as an adult may relate with. I have found that for myself and for many child victims, it's even that much harder to see God as anything but punitive in nature.
I know something of childhood trauma myself. I don't know whether our paths have overlapped in any way but my life experiences colored my perceptions in such a way that I began to recognize abusive patterns in my conceptualization of god. I even saw abusive patterns in facets of the orthodox conceptualization of god.

I know it' hard to see god as anything but punitive when you've had experiences like that. I found that I needed to challenge my conceptualization of god, which could be described as a faith crisis.

You aren't alone, neither am I. I can't say it's been a fun path but attempting to walk the path has helped me discover a more loving god.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster »

Glad you found this safe place. Having a spot to bounce ideas and concerns and get some really great feedback has both helped me and broadened my understanding. I also want to thank everyone for your comments and support.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote: 03 Oct 2017, 13:25 I also want to thank everyone for your comments and support.
Thank you for yours, and for stopping by. :wave:
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."