Alan Watts

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
dande48

Alan Watts

Post by dande48 » 28 May 2017, 22:38

I recently discovered Alan Watts. For those of you who haven't heard of him, he was a British philosopher from the early/mid 1900s. He was one of the key proponents, of bringing Eastern philosophy to Western culture, and showing us what we can learn from it. He also has the sexiest voice I've ever heard, hands down.

Some of his talks have been extraordinarily helpful in my StayLDS journey. One talk I appreciated in particular, is called "Jesus Christ & Christianity", from 1969. The transcript can be found here, and a recording of the talk can be found on Youtube here. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Here is a taste:
Some years ago I had just given a talk on television in Canada when one of the announcers came up to me and said “You know, if one can believe that this universe is in charge of an intelligent and beneficent God, don’t you think he would naturally have provided us with an infallible guide to behavior and to the truth about the universe?” And of course I knew he meant the Bible. I said “No, I think nothing of the kind. Because I think a loving God would not do something to His children that would rot their brains.”

LookingHard

Re: Alan Watts

Post by LookingHard » 29 May 2017, 10:53

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am going to need to listen to the whole thing when I can do more that just skim it.