Religious Freedom: The Best Thing the Newsroom Has Published

For the discussion of spirituality -- from LDS and non-LDS sources
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Religious Freedom: The Best Thing the Newsroom Has Published

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Feb 2017, 19:04

Everyone, please read the article at this link. I didn't have high hopes for an article about religious freedom, but I was dead wrong. It is wonderful.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/i ... t=F9PeWXUb

Please share whatever part(s) are your favorite.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Re: Religious Freedom: The Best Thing the Newsroom Has Publi

Post by SilentDawning » 18 Feb 2017, 20:01

But freedom of religion or belief can help. The worth of a right is found in its ability to protect both majority and minority. This freedom operates on two fronts. As law it secures the free exercise of religion; as social norm it fosters respect for differences and disagreements. No country is perfect at this. But by bestowing dignity on our beliefs, religious freedom ties us all together, including those who profess no religion.

Consider an example from the West African country of Cameroon. Under threat of terrorist attacks, Christian and Muslim congregations took turns protecting each other. On Fridays Christians guarded the mosques during community prayer, and on Sundays Muslims guarded the churches during worship services.[8]

Such reciprocity is vital because the majority and the minority often trade places. What is popular at one time becomes unpopular at another. Every religion undergoes the fluctuations of prominence and obscurity. The cultural group that enjoys privilege today may lose it tomorrow. Power is not permanent. So, a religious freedom that protects the little guy is also the best security for the big guy. Safety is not in numbers; safety is in justice.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 18 Feb 2017, 21:52

SD beat me to it. This is my favorite too.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 19 Feb 2017, 06:23

It does make me think, "in the US we don't have any persecutions like that in the least" but I sure feel like the church leaders feel there is a full court press on religion (just because gay marriage was legalized)

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Feb 2017, 12:10

I concur with LH. It is one of the best articles from the newsroom, but can we hold it up to ourselves with honesty. Do we, as the one true leadership team on the earth, do we protect minorities with as much vigor as the article intends?

The article fits my heart dream to T. I hope as a church we really can begin to embrace it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

ydeve

Post by ydeve » 19 Feb 2017, 12:13

LookingHard wrote: I sure feel like the church leaders feel there is a full court press on religion (just because gay marriage was legalized)
I had the same thought. Call me skeptical, but the article seems to be painting Christians as a minority, feeding into the "religious freedom is under attack" theme the church has been pushing in the US. When the reality here is the opposite, that Christians are still the majority, and many are pushing to allow people to legally discriminate against others because of their religious beliefs.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Feb 2017, 14:14

LookingHard wrote:It does make me think, "in the US we don't have any persecutions like that in the least" but I sure feel like the church leaders feel there is a full court press on religion (just because gay marriage was legalized)
This.

Utah, LDS Church join 'friend of court' briefs in transgender bathroom case

Not to stir the pot, this is one of those issues where either side could convince me of the merits of their position, I'm not trying to make a statement. I only post this because I wonder who is the strong and who is the weak? Because "some are bigger, older, richer and better connected than others."

How much of the church's position is worry over losing actual religious freedom and how much of the position is concerned with losing a seat at the table of power and influence in society? Frankly I wonder whether some leaders would be content with anything short of an all out theocracy. Congrats... when it's your religion running the show... I guess.

So once, just once, I'd like to see a church leader start a talk about religious freedom by acknowledging the religious freedom they already enjoy and focus less on presenting religious freedom as something that they lack or as a tool to hold back extending like rights to others.

Of course my little thoughts only extend to the church in the USA, there are global implications, but with the way the phrase "religious freedom" has been tossed around I come to similar conclusions as LH. Someone's grumpy that gay marriage was legalized.

I did like the article. I hope Elder Gong includes it in his next presentation. :angel:
Let me out, what you see is not the same person as me, my life's a lie, I'm not who you're looking at, let me out, set me free, I'm really old, this isn't me, my real body's slowing dying in a vat.
Is anybody listening, can anyone understand, stop looking at me like that and actually help me, help me, help me I'm gonna die.
― Tiny Rick

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Feb 2017, 18:11

4 hours later - This Llama used it in RS today. We were talking about Zion and I used the Muslim church/Christian church example to point toward a Zion I would like to see.

Thanks Ray for posting it in time for me today.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Feb 2017, 19:28

I can disagree with one thing (like the transgender brief) and still agree wholeheartedly with something else (this article). Life is complex like that and not at all black-and-white.

I am glad you were able to use it, mom3. That is one reason I love having it available. No matter the other issues, we now have a wonderful statement about religious freedom needing to apply to everyone - including, explicitly, atheists.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken