Hero with a Thousand Faces

Public forum to discuss interesting and helpful books.
SamBee

Hero with a Thousand Faces

Post by SamBee »

I have read many books along these lines, and enjoyed them. However, I have to admit I find this one utterly dull and plodding.

I don't entirely blame Mr Campbell. I think his ideas are no longer fresh, due to wide circulation. But the writing style is like porridge... this is coming from someone who has read the entire "Golden Bough".
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
LookingHard

Re: Hero with a Thousand Faces

Post by LookingHard »

Thanks for letting us know your take on this.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Hero with a Thousand Faces

Post by hawkgrrrl »

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to like this one, but I found The Power Myth (which he did with Bill Moyer and is written as an interview) to be much more enjoyable and easy to read. Likewise, I don't really enjoy reading the Givens' books. Not everyone's style works for everyone.