"Come, Come, Ye Saints"

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ann

"Come, Come, Ye Saints"

Post by Ann » 20 Jul 2016, 11:33

Come, come, ye saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell -
All is well! All is well!

Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
'Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell-

We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
Far away, in the West,
Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
There the saints, will be blessed.
We'll make the air, with music ring,
Shout praises to our God and King;
Above the rest these words we'll tell -

And should we die before our journey's through,
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell-
Pioneer Day is coming up and I've been thinking about this hymn. We're all going to sing it, but we won't all be thinking the same things. Some will be holding the line and others will be pushing the boundaries. And I just have to trust that all is well!

Back when I was listening to a lot of Mormon Stories podcasts, the lead-in music would leave me almost in tears every time. It would soften and steel me for what I was about to hear. No toil nor labor fear. The church can survive and maybe thrive if we all just push through. (And it's a genuine miracle that a lyric written to celebrate the safe arrival of William Clayton's polygamous wife's baby can inspire me.)
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DarkJedi

Re: "Come, Come, Ye Saints"

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Jul 2016, 14:24

I like Come, Come, Ye Saints, and you're right, I'm sure we'll sing it this Sunday even though I don't think anybody currently in our ward has pioneer ancestry. FWIW, I don't care for many LDS-centric hymns and particularly those that focus on pioneers and western culture. Seriously, how do people sing "Firm as the mountains around us" or "and we hear the desert singing" with a straight face in Kansas or North Carolina or upstate NY? It's not that I don't appreciate the pioneers, I do - if not for their sacrifices (which I'm not sure I would have done) the church as we know it might not be here today. I realize that almost all of the top leadership does have pioneer ancestry and they're not going to let go of celebrating Pioneer Day - but eventually as a global church we're going to have to and let it be a cultural thing celebrated only in Utah and not churchwide.

As a side note, I served my mission in New Zealand where we had the same hymnbooks we have here. We never sang those Utah/Pioneer-centric songs, even "Come, Come Ye Saints."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 20 Jul 2016, 16:20

I like the "Come, Come, Ye Saints" hymn too, even if it was written to celebrate the birth of William Clayton's polygamous child. I also love Carol Lynn Pearson's poem, "Pioneers."
My people were Mormon pioneers.

Is the blood still good?

They stood in awe as truth

Flew by like a dove

And dropped a feather in the West.

Where truth flies you follow

If you are a pioneer.

I have searched the skies

And now and then

Another feather has fallen.

I have packed the handcart again

Packed it with the precious things

And thrown away the rest.

I will sing by the fires at night

Out there on uncharted ground

Where I am my own captain of tens

Where I blow the bugle

Bring myself to morning prayer

Map out the miles

And never know when or where

Or if at all I will finally say,

“This is the place,”

I face the plains

On a good day for walking.

The sun rises

And the mist clears.

I will be all right:

My people were Mormon Pioneers.
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

Joni

Post by Joni » 21 Jul 2016, 11:49

DarkJedi wrote: FWIW, I don't care for many LDS-centric hymns and particularly those that focus on pioneers and western culture. Seriously, how do people sing "Firm as the mountains around us" or "and we hear the desert singing" with a straight face in Kansas or North Carolina or upstate NY? "
I live in Indiana, and I usually change the word 'mountains' to 'cornfields' - it even fits the meter perfectly.

And I loathe Come Come Ye Saints. Sung at the dirge-like tempo so beloved in the Momon church, it takes about ten minutes to get through the whole thing.

ydeve

Post by ydeve » 21 Jul 2016, 19:20

The dirge tempo is a problem with a lot of hymns, but it is really the problem of the conductor and organist, not the hymn itself. Almost none of the written tempos for hymns are dirge-like, it's just that some organists play really slowly.

I like this hymn a lot too. It's one of the few "Utah" or "pioneer" songs that actually means something to me.

Ann

Post by Ann » 21 Jul 2016, 19:30

I agree about the tempos and will cross my fingers for us all this Sunday. :-)

According to Wikipedia there are alternative lyrics to the third verse's "far away in the west." I like them, but I don't feel strongly about it.
We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
In His house full of light,
Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
There the saints will shine bright.

We'll make the air with music ring,
Shout praises to our God and King;
Above the rest these words we’ll tell,
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Jul 2016, 21:00

I often find myself humming it when I am really nervous. It always catches me off guard. It's not conscious, but in a way it works. And for motivating me I like it better than "Put Your Shoulder To The Wheel."
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Weaselgirl

Post by Weaselgirl » 22 Jul 2016, 08:44

I always thought that putting your shoulder to the wheel was a good way to get run over by the wagon. :P

As a music-y person (and confirmed alto), I've always disliked "come, Come Ye Saints" because the music is bo-ring. My husband always wants to play it on the harmonica--"for authenticity"--but I won't let him bring one to church.

And speaking of alternative verses:

Come, come, ye saints
No toilet paper here
But with leaves
Wipe yer rear.

Pretty sure that's the Scout version. I'm middle-aged and I've known it since I was a kid, so technically it's historic.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 22 Jul 2016, 09:32

I heard it as

But with grass
Wipe yer ^$$.

It was the plains remember :-)

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 22 Jul 2016, 10:01

LookingHard wrote:I heard it as

But with grass