Utah Area Presidency asks members to wear masks

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Utah Area Presidency asks members to wear masks

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Jul 2020, 05:35

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/7/10 ... ts-in-utah

When I saw the headline which references church leaders I thought perhaps the FP had finally spoken on the issue. Alas it was not to be. I do believe this will affect some Utah members but not the same as if it had come from higher up to all members everywhere.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Re: Utah Area Presidency asks members to wear masks

Post by nibbler » 11 Jul 2020, 05:44

That's good.

Anything small thing that could help is worth a try.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 11 Jul 2020, 09:39

This is great, thanks for posting, DJ. I really like its call to "all Latter-day Saints in the Utah Area to be good citizens by wearing face coverings when in public."

I also appreciate the reference to "medical authorities". I actually think that is a very significant term to use, because it doesn't rely on Bishop Smith, or Elder Jones, or even LDS doctors. Just medical "authorities" outside the purview of the Church leadership.

I am also pleased to see the appeal being made, not to protect your own health, but rather to "promote the health and general welfare of all".

As I've said before, here, the numbers are staggering if you just stop and compare it to US wars in the past. We are losing Americans in the US faster than in any war, including the Civil War. In that war, on average, 520 Americans (North and South combined) died per day. So far this year, we have lost about 690 Americans per day. Of course, I recognize that the US is a much larger and more populated nation today. But 690 every day this year. That is a lot of misery for a large number of American families. I'm glad the Church is seeing this as a social responsibility to try to help our neighborhood and not merely our congregation.

My only wish would be that the email that the Utah Area Presidency sent out had been over the signature of the FP, and made for all members of the Church worldwide. I don't live in Utah, so it's not a mandate here. Also, Many Utah LDS Members will pay no heed to what their Area Presidency says. I know in my own case, I could not name a single member of my Area Presidency.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 Jul 2020, 12:19

I agree OON. I actually feel that RMN could use his understanding and training as a medical doctor to plead with the saints to use precautions. Perhaps God prepared RMN to be church president at just this time for just this purpose.

I suppose there is some irony that I would like RMN to speak on some things and I would prefer RMN to remain silent on other things. I suppose I should celebrate the small victories like this announcement from the Utah Area Presidency.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

desertghost93

Post by desertghost93 » 18 Jul 2020, 03:31

I think this is a good move by the AP. I wish the church would encourage this at least more regionally. (U.S., Mex, Canada). What I find absolutely tragic however is seeing fellow members reaction to this. I know some who are now accusing the church as part of being part of some kind of Liberal conspiracy because they care about the health and safety of their members.

I don't like wearing mask as I have asthma that can be quite unpredictable. Moreover I have learned to adapt. I wear a mask because we have been asked to by local government, and by the church. For me it is just showing your respect for your fellow man.
You can’t base your knowledge of a church off-broadway plays and the media, or even comments from church members because there are millions of them and they are all different and have different opinions, just like everybody else in this world.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Jul 2020, 06:45

I had a friend respond with, "When the First Presidency says it, I will do it."

I pointed out that the FP and Q12 have done much more than say it. They closed all churches and temples early, then they established tiered waves to reopen based on local spread and requiring precautionary measures. I pointed out that only 4 temples in the USA have moved to Stage 2 - and NONE of them are in Mormon-heavy areas, where it would make sense "politically" to open them. The friend didn't respond.

The next commenter said, simply, "Welcome to the cafeteria."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 23 Jul 2020, 09:44

Curt Sunshine wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 06:45
The next commenter said, simply, "Welcome to the cafeteria."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 26 Jul 2020, 13:34

Curt Sunshine wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 06:45
I had a friend respond with, "When the First Presidency says it, I will do it."
Maybe I'm just touchy, but stuff like this positively infuriates me! Why can't a person's own brain tell him to do a few things?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 26 Jul 2020, 14:59

And should the first presidency ask people to wear masks: "When the Jesus says it, I will do it."

Something, something, Jesus sent a rowboat, a motorboat, and a helicopter.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book