Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jun 2020, 04:49

I know a few weeks ago Deseret News made a big deal about SM restarting in Utah and there were several articles about how it was being done in different places, etc. However, I don't know if church meetings have begun anywhere else. I live in NY where I have not been expecting church to restart until at least July, but July is nearly upon us and my part of the state is moving to a phase where limited capacity church services may be allowed. I noticed the local Methodist Church does have a sign out that services there are resuming this Sunday, but I also know it's a small congregation and even if "everybody" came they'd be able to properly social distance, etc., because their Sanctuary is fairly large. I was just wondering if anywhere besides Utah in the CoJCoLDS had resumed and how it was going.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Re: Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Post by Minyan Man » 24 Jun 2020, 05:13

I live in WI. We haven't even begun to talk about going back to church.
My impression is: the leadership wants to take a cautious approach.
I appreciate that.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jun 2020, 07:41

I agree that the leadership is taking a cautious approach MM and also appreciate it 100%. I am sure part of their thinking is the increase in COVID cases in Utah since reopening, but I think other factors play a bigger role in that than church (although church likely does contribute). In NY we are clearly going in the other direction compared to Utah and those states that have seen recent increases and spikes in cases - but we've been doing things those states don't seem to be for a long time (masks required in public, enforced social distancing*, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry to go back and plan to take a good hard look at what others are doing before I do (for example if I walk in and half the people aren't wearing masks I'm walking back out). I do have three active children living in Utah but none of them have been to church - and they admittedly do not practice good COVID routines. :problem:

*Except at protests, of course. Somehow they were given a pass. However, they were also publicly warned that they were putting themselves in danger, they were advised to be tested, and some have apparently been sickened as a result of exposure during the protests. And I am rational enough to get it, the police - who were already wrong no matter what - would have been wrong no matter what.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 24 Jun 2020, 08:37

There is no talk of it starting yet here. We got a few emails stating the regional leaders are discussing it, and then we have not heard any more. With the new increased spikes in cases...I'm also guessing they go the route of cautious and continue to avoid SM through the summer.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Jabraso

Post by Jabraso » 24 Jun 2020, 13:03

I live in northern Utah. My ward is going to start meetings this coming Sunday and every third Sunday after that. They are only doing 45min Sacrament meetings in two sessions with half the ward at a time. They aren't "mandatory" and those 65+ and other high risk individuals are told to stay home. Here are the additional precautions they're taking.
Please note that the wearing of masks will be required by all who attend the meetings.
This requirement is there to protect everyone’s health and to help everyone feel safe. If you
do not have a mask, a free mask can be requested at https://coronavirus.utah.gov/mask/ or
masks can be purchased at many local stores. A limited number of masks will be available at
each meeting, but there will not be enough for everyone.
In accordance with state and local guidelines, many modifications to the format of
sacrament meeting will be implemented to increase everyone’s safety. These include, but are
not limited to; closed off rows, gloves worn by those distributing the sacrament, limited contact
with sacrament trays and cleanings of the building between each meeting.
I don't plan on going until masks aren't required because I hate wearing them and don't want to deal with keeping a mask on my young children.

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Jun 2020, 13:48

Heber13 wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 08:37
There is no talk of it starting yet here. We got a few emails stating the regional leaders are discussing it, and then we have not heard any more. With the new increased spikes in cases...I'm also guessing they go the route of cautious and continue to avoid SM through the summer.
This is also happening in my rural area of the Pacific NW. The leaders are discussing it.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 24 Jun 2020, 19:55

Jabraso wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 13:03
I live in northern Utah. My ward is going to start meetings this coming Sunday and every third Sunday after that. They are only doing 45min Sacrament meetings in two sessions with half the ward at a time. They aren't "mandatory" and those 65+ and other high risk individuals are told to stay home. Here are the additional precautions they're taking.
Please note that the wearing of masks will be required by all who attend the meetings.
This requirement is there to protect everyone’s health and to help everyone feel safe. If you
do not have a mask, a free mask can be requested at https://coronavirus.utah.gov/mask/ or
masks can be purchased at many local stores. A limited number of masks will be available at
In accordance with state and local guidelines, many modifications to the format of
sacrament meeting will be implemented to increase everyone’s safety. These include, but are
not limited to; closed off rows, gloves worn by those distributing the sacrament, limited contact
I don't plan on going until masks aren't required because I hate wearing them and don't want to deal with keeping a mask on my young children.
My Daughter lives in Utah & tells me that the state in considered a hot zone for Covid infection. I don't understand what the rush is to start
SM meetings. What if one PH holder blessing the sacrament is a carrier? He could infect a good part of the congregation. I personally will not
be going back until the leadership can talk about a detailed plan to keep the whole congregation safe.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 25 Jun 2020, 05:18

We are in MI. My husband (who is the executive secretary) saw some discussions about it, but that was it here. He actually asked me if I had information on when we were starting up (which of course I didn't - but sometimes I wind up hearing reliable rumors of plans).

As a couple, we have already decided to opt out of church services until the fall (at the earliest) even when they start holding them.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Jun 2020, 05:20

Jabraso wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 13:03
I would hope that no singing is included in the modifications. Singing is bad, mask or no mask, and that coming from who really appreciates the hymns and thinks we should generally sing more.

If we have to wait a long time for no masks here. They've been a requirement in public for months and there's no talk of changing that any time soon.

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 Jun 2020, 15:01

My ward has started - with very strict rules and only 45 minute Sacrament meetings. Recorded music is being played, with no singing.

Sunday School is being held online.

Due largely to my job, I won't be attending. Extreme care is mandated for us.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken