New Announcement from Church HQ (missionary apparel)

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

New Announcement from Church HQ (missionary apparel)

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Jun 2020, 13:52

https://www.ldsliving.com/Blue-shirts-a ... dium=email

As I post this announcement I have a smile on my face. Next thing you know, the Missionaries will be able to wear yellow shirts.
It is too easy to be sarcastic. Couldn't they just say to the Missionaries, please dress appropriately as representatives of the Church?
Aren't there more important issues that could be addressed?

Then again what one person would think is appropriate, another would think obscene.

nibbler

Re: New Announcement from Church HQ (missionary apparel)

Post by nibbler » 12 Jun 2020, 14:29

It sounds like some relaxing, but not a complete unclenching. Hey, progress is progress.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Jun 2020, 14:41

Hmm. :think: Interesting. Also extremely vague. :| Missionaries can wear blue shirts and/or no tie in specific areas determined by the area presidency and MP of that area. No mention of which areas this might apply to or why. The end of the article references previous changes to sister missionary attire, but the big difference is with sisters those changes applied to all missions. FWIW, here I have yet to see a sister missionary in pants, but we don't actually have sisters in my ward so I mostly only see them at church where they would wear dresses. My take on this new announcement is that it will be very limited and highly subject to the whims of leadership roulette.

Side note: I have a son who served on remote islands in the south Pacific. This was a "no suit coat" mission and it was made pretty clear in the call materials that not only was a suit coat not required they didn't want them brought there. DW was a member of the mission's Facebook "missionary moms" group. Time and time again people would post about the coats often ending with "Missionaries wear suit coats and I don't care what they say, my son is taking his suit(s)." It got so bad that at one point the MP chimed in and in a very pointed message made it very clear they were not to bring the coats - they are put in storage in a hot humid place for 2 years and they come out moldy - the elders are not permitted to take them to the islands with them (the were only allowed one suitcase on those small island hopper planes). The moral of the story: some people are so unwilling to depart from tradition and what they think is "right" that they won't do it.

(What really needs to happen for the church as a whole is that some GAs start wearing non-white shirts to GC.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Jun 2020, 14:59

I was in a no suit coat mission but we had to have them for the MTC and the plane rides. We lugged our unused suit coat from town to town during transfers.

I remember hearing of missions in... Tonga? where missionaries could were lava-lavas, and that was decades ago.
DarkJedi wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 14:41
My take on this new announcement is that it will be very limited and highly subject to the whims of leadership roulette.
Yeah, can you imagine? The missions that stick with the white shirt and suit rules are higher baptizing missions. :P
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 12 Jun 2020, 15:10

Before the sister missionary dress standards were extended to all missions they also did a similar thing where it was up to the mission presidents to decide. This might similarly get extended to all missions in a year or two.

What I don’t like is how you still need white shirts or dresses for church meetings. I get there’s a cultural idea of “Sunday best”, but I really doubt God cares what color your shirt is or whether you wear pants. In my mission we had to wear suit coats to church on Sunday, which was torture in summer when the chapel air conditioning didn’t work. We would eventually just take them off or wear short-sleeves shirts underneath.

My mission turned me off of suits and ties for good. Since getting home a few years ago, I became a bit rebellious and I stopped wearing ties and occasionally go for a blue shirt. Maybe I’m just a trend-setter. I also did two hour church before it was cool :lol:

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 13 Jun 2020, 22:43

Thanks, MM, for sharing that. I'm glad to see the leadership is starting to become more lenient in this way, even if it be happening a bit slow. I agree with Nibbler said: Progress is progress.

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 14 Jun 2020, 06:25

Ilovechrist77 wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 22:43
Thanks, MM, for sharing that. I'm glad to see the leadership is starting to become more lenient in this way, even if it be happening a bit slow. I agree with Nibbler said: Progress is progress.
Just wish they'd apologize for their non-lenient ways in the past; being told that it's a sin, giving into temptation from satan or not being respectful to your priesthood when you Skype for longer than 45 minutes on Christmas with your family, removing your coat because it's 100 degrees and the AC isn't working, etc. If those were opinions of men, then they need to stop sharing them. If not, then God changed his mind big time as missionaries can now Skype weekly with their family.

Roy

Post by Roy » 14 Jun 2020, 14:09

I am a member of a more orthodox group where this subject was discussed. I found it interesting how many people were against even this small relaxation. Reasons given were the "uniform of the priesthood," that white represents the purity of Jesus Christ, that the Elders are supposed to stand out and be different and "peculiar", that the dress is reflective of the respect we have towards the sacred message, and even that the Elders are often easily identified and remembered by this dress.

In short, every justification that we have ever used to defend the practice from outsiders is now being used to argue why the practice should not change. I see a pattern here with other issues as well. :lol:
Arrakeen wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:10
Before the sister missionary dress standards were extended to all missions they also did a similar thing where it was up to the mission presidents to decide. This might similarly get extended to all missions in a year or two.
I am hopeful that in a decade or two the whole tie and white shirt thing can go away as an expectation at church. It is increasingly odd, seems mildly cultish, and can be a barrier to individuals feeling welcome at church.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 15 Jun 2020, 11:24

Hi All.

FWIW, I know a guy who was an LDS missionary in the jungles of Central America in the early 1970's (50 years ago). Their standard attire was a white short-sleeved shirt and jeans. No tie.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 16 Jun 2020, 06:26

Roy wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 14:09
I am a member of a more orthodox group where this subject was discussed. I found it interesting how many people were against even this small relaxation. Reasons given were the "uniform of the priesthood," that white represents the purity of Jesus Christ, that the Elders are supposed to stand out and be different and "peculiar", that the dress is reflective of the respect we have towards the sacred message, and even that the Elders are often easily identified and remembered by this dress.

In short, every justification that we have ever used to defend the practice from outsiders is now being used to argue why the practice should not change. I see a pattern here with other issues as well. :lol:
Arrakeen wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 15:10
I am hopeful that in a decade or two the whole tie and white shirt thing can go away as an expectation at church. It is increasingly odd, seems mildly cultish, and can be a barrier to individuals feeling welcome at church.
It's almost as if the church is being led by... men. Who don't change unless political and PR pressure forces them too.