We aren't the only ones who question.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

We aren't the only ones who question.

Post by Minyan Man » 24 May 2020, 21:00

I love to study other religions & learn what they believe.
I also like to learn about what they question along the way.
This is a video about Hasidic Jews & a group of members who question their faith & beliefs.
We are not alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQWLJhsl-t4

Arrakeen

Re: We aren't the only ones who question.

Post by Arrakeen » 25 May 2020, 21:23

This was a really interesting video. It’s really interesting to see how people in other faiths deal with questioning and crises of faith. I remember reading Al Ghazali’s Path to Sufism, which documents the 11th-century Muslim theologian’s personal faith crisis and transition to Sufism. I found a lot of parallels to current faith crisis discussions.

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 26 May 2020, 08:35

Fascinating video. Obviously, even the strictest, most devout LDS families don't approach this level of isolation from the outside world, but it's truly sad how many people have actually been conditioned to be afraid to learn about their options. And this does, unfortunately, happen in LDS families. I think that in our culture, though, we're made to feel guilty for questioning the "Truths" we're supposedly blessed to have been given, and to ever doubt those in authority. At least we're not striving for total isolation from the world. That would be the last straw for me.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 May 2020, 10:00

I recently saw the Netflix limited series Unorthodox. It is based on a book memoir of a young woman who left the Hasidic Jewish community of Williamsburg in Brooklyn NY. There is also a 90 minute documentary by the same name and similar content that follows three rebellious "Jewish teenagers in their yearlong rite-of-passage journey from high school to Israel." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb_uwSN9L3k
The Hasidic Jewish community is much more isolated, insulated, and tightly knit than modern LDS communities. This can help to make some feel a greater sense of community identity, support, and belonging. Conversely, for those that feel that they do not fit in for whatever reason the community may be ever present and stifling. The decision to leave the community seems terrifyingly stark - either in or out from everything you have ever known.
The young woman in the Netflix series had problems consummating the marriage and her husband spoke to her in-laws about it. In one scene she yells at her husband for inviting his whole family into the marriage bed." This clearly exacerbated her sense of isolation and undercut any sense of unity and cohesion that she might have otherwise enjoyed with her husband.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 May 2020, 10:16

The rabbi interviewed in the youtube video from the OP said something that I found interesting. He said that instead of focusing on/crying about all the things that you missed out on to think of all the good things that you were given growing up. Stable upbringings, beautiful homes and loving parents. "That nucleus that they gave you the secular world would have loved to have."

I believe this touches upon something that I have felt in LDS circles. The supposition is that the outside world is rife with promiscuity, drug use, divorce, broken families, and general sorrow. That without God and the commandments to keep us in line there would be no reason left to be good. The world has families. Atheists can still find reasons to live good and moral lives. We do not have any sort of monopoly of happiness.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Oct 2020, 06:40

A lot of people tell me that Mormonism is too complicated. I always point them in the direction of Ultra-Orthodox Jews and point out we live a simple life compared to some religions.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."