An unintended "consequence" of home church?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: An unintended "consequence" of home church?

Post by nibbler » 24 Apr 2020, 10:18

DarkJedi wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 08:50
I'm not sure I'll be one of the first ones through the door either. However, DW is ready to get back to her Primary calling and will likely go back as soon as allowed.
This is why I hope leaders keep church closed until things are safe for the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints. If just one person in my family decides to return the day church opens I might as well go back on day one myself. Whole families will have to be on the same page for when they feel safe to return.

I will say that for the most part the church is handling things better than some other churches I've seen. I would have liked for Nelson to have reiterated the importance of social distancing during general conference, but I'm hopeful they'll continue to take safety very seriously when it comes to deciding to open things back up.
Minyan Man wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 08:51
Don't you wonder what it must be like to be a FT Missionary now?
I feel bad for them. I'm sure this isn't how they envisioned their missions. Of course life is on hold for lots of people now. I do wonder one thing. I'm surprised that mission calls are still being issued. I know two families that just had their reveal parties. Both of them were called to foreign missions, which I thought was a no-no.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Apr 2020, 13:57

Minyan Man wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 08:51
Don't you wonder what it must be like to be a FT Missionary now?
Stuck in a small apartment with a companion you may not get along with?
What will the homecoming sacrament talk be?

Our ward is encouraging members to have a virtual lesson with the Missionaries.
This has to be a disappointment for some of them.
I feel for the missionaries here too. They have been stuck in their apartments since the end of February in this mission. We have new ones in our ward that none of us have met in person. I have heard they are doing some sort of online teaching but I have not been involved (I think I'm on their "avoid the weirdo" list, which is fine with me). I had stated elsewhere earlier, were I on my mission during this time cooped up with even my favorite companion homicide would be likely. I couldn't even do that with my wife long term.

ETA: I meant to say we had two missionaries give reports at stake council recently (Zoom meeting). Both came home early because of the virus, one very early and is on the plan where he may return later (but honestly probably won't). The other was close to the end of his mission and he was sadder sounding about it. The SP said there are more for next time, but there wasn't enough time for all of them in one meeting. I have mixed feelings on the issue. I think the church did the right thing in bringing missionaries home (in some cases like one of our young men there was no choice) and I don't think it's a big deal if they were within three months of finishing anyway. But I get why some feel slighted. I also disagree with the online training in lieu of the MTC , there's no way it is anything like the same. And I think the church should stop calling missionaries for now, let it be.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Apr 2020, 14:03

nibbler wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 10:18
DarkJedi wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 08:50
I'm not sure I'll be one of the first ones through the door either. However, DW is ready to get back to her Primary calling and will likely go back as soon as allowed.
This is why I hope leaders keep church closed until things are safe for the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints. If just one person in my family decides to return the day church opens I might as well go back on day one myself. Whole families will have to be on the same page for when they feel safe to return.

I will say that for the most part the church is handling things better than some other churches I've seen. I would have liked for Nelson to have reiterated the importance of social distancing during general conference, but I'm hopeful they'll continue to take safety very seriously when it comes to deciding to open things back up.
I agree. My wife's "co-teacher" is an 80-something-year-old that uses a walker. It's a long walk down the hall for her (often some nice person grabs one of the wheelchairs and wheels her down). Very vulnerable IMO, but you can bet your bottom dollar she'll be there first Sunday back.

I, too, would have liked if the highest authorities reiterated something - anything - about COVID at GC. Our SP said he did not have any inside info but speculated it would be at least the end of May before any return to regular meetings, longer for things like the temple.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 25 Apr 2020, 13:12

DarkJedi wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 13:57
I also disagree with the online training in lieu of the MTC , there's no way it is anything like the same. And I think the church should stop calling missionaries for now, let it be.
Having spent 9 weeks in the MTC, I would have preferred online training. As long as it wasn’t living the missionary rules and schedule at home.

It must really be rough to be a missionary stuck at home now without access to entertainment. When I was at the MTC some of the missionaries resorted to holding midnight spider-fighting tournaments (they would trap spiders and pit them against each other in a weird kind of arachnid blood-sport). It was a big scandal when they got caught. Then in the field there were always missionaries swooning over pictures of attractive girls in their General Conference issue of the Ensign :lol:. When people are banned from traditional entertainment they resort to other things out of desperation.

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 25 Apr 2020, 13:26

As for home church, I’m waiting out the pandemic at my parents’ house, and we gave up on home church weeks ago and now Sunday is just a day off. I feel like I got an extra day added to my weekend. And I don’t have to worry about church attendance for my BYU endorsement anymore. I’m not going to be very enthusiastic about going back. Church is stressful.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Apr 2020, 06:06

Arrakeen wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 13:26
As for home church, I’m waiting out the pandemic at my parents’ house, and we gave up on home church weeks ago and now Sunday is just a day off. I feel like I got an extra day added to my weekend. And I don’t have to worry about church attendance for my BYU endorsement anymore. I’m not going to be very enthusiastic about going back. Church is stressful.
Some people have used this time as a vacation (sabbatical?) from church. Nothing wrong with that either. In line with my original thought, maybe during this time some people will recognize that going to church every Sunday isn't all it's cracked up to be and that they can really live without it and/or view Sunday attendance as more "optional," particularly with things like SS and PH/RS. Along that same line, I often hear the argument that youth activities (including early morning seminary) are important because the youth need to get together with those of their own kind. I don't have youth at home any more, but I do have ministering families with youth - they seem to be doing just fine without all the activity.

My Introduction

Pinetreelover

Post by Pinetreelover » 26 Apr 2020, 08:39

We moved a step in the right direction with two hour church. Hopefully the next step will be one hour church and then....drum roll....tv church!!! I joke with my siblings about this and starting a hashtag about it. They think I’m totally joking though :D but seriously I’m LOVING the church break right now.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 26 Apr 2020, 09:45

Or drive thru like McDonalds.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Apr 2020, 09:56

Minyan Man wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 09:45
Or drive thru like McDonalds.
Drive through sacrament, there's an idea! :P

My Introduction

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 26 Apr 2020, 19:19

We have had home church quite faithfully actually. We do it with my children who are at home and those who live nearby and my wife's parents who are older. We have a lesson (I generally give it), the sacrament, sing hymns and then we have dinner together and end up playing games after dinner or watch TV. We start around 10:30 a.m. and people leave around 3. It can get hectic but it's been enjoyable. I can't say I miss church or the associations at church at all. In fact, I haven't really felt the lack. It's been kind of nice not to have to deal with announcements, unnecessary stake meetings, members you don't care for (but still have to be nice to) and all the rest. While I don't know if we'd be able to maintain "home church" in its current form for an extended period of time, I find that I do just fine without the regular church. Of course, I'm not very social. Now I wouldn't mind if my college-aged children could go back to their respective dorms (at their respective universities). Too many adults in the house has been wearing but regular church? Nah. Though I know that eventually we will return to status quo.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---