The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by mom3 » 03 Apr 2020, 12:03

I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, and don't even want to try to imagine what your daughter is going through. She'll be in my prayers. Just remember that the vast majority of people who were the sickest eventually did recover. This too shall pass.
I write for a hobby. I have 2 published books. 4 or 5 articles. Some pieces in anthologies. I can't even string together words on this one. Every one of us is inspired by her. She has tenacity and resilience we can't describe. Her sister, who is Daughter1 on the forum, was so heart broken when we got the news. We were all on Zoom, I could see every face, including mine, but the tears from her older sister were the final nail.

Emotionally we are all living in a very different zone. We have traveled to a realm, I can't fully describe. We still exist here. Doing our lives, but the colors, the textures, the feelings (different than textures) are palpable. So many people are offering prayers and support. It's remarkable, but before them, something else arrived - a clarity, an energy, a something - that thing is carrying us through. We are more nuclear than we have been - and we were tight knit before. This is elevated by miles.

Yes it will pass. When it does I look forward to the beauty we get to keep. Every day I imagine us standing before the blazing sun, silhouetted against it's light, hand in hand, launching to our appointed futures. As Princess Leia said, "It's my only hope."

Her report today is "the worseness increases". Still no fever but everything else is over the top. She's had migraine's for years, this headache beats them all. She's hanging in there, so are we.

Thanks.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 03 Apr 2020, 17:53

Thanks for the updates Mom. I can't begin to imagine what it's like for her, you, or your family. Virtual hugs.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 03 Apr 2020, 20:28

With the total number of church officials, leadership & missionaries in the field, I'm surprised there isn't more in these categories that have been
infected by this virus to date. Unless this is the beginning of the infection. I wonder, how would the Church react if an Apostle came down
with it & needed to be hospitalized or died?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2020, 04:38

Minyan Man wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 20:28
With the total number of church officials, leadership & missionaries in the field, I'm surprised there isn't more in these categories that have been
infected by this virus to date. Unless this is the beginning of the infection. I wonder, how would the Church react if an Apostle came down
with it & needed to be hospitalized or died?
I'm not sure how much this was noticed. One day last week there was a news article about missionaries returning in which the executive director of the missionary department stated there were no missionaries who had tested positive (in a rather boasting manner in my interpretation). The next day it was announced the missionary in Mexico was positive and then the next day another positive missionary was announced. Also that day the church announced they will no longer announce the number of missionaries who test positive. That could be all coincidental and the church could have other very good reasons for not making such announcements. Just saying. Were a Q15 to test positive it would be big news in the church, and I think they likely would announce that if only to ask for prayers and fasting. I also think they have isolated all of the GAs pretty well, and I bet they are subject to frequent screening, especially if directly interacting with each other.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction