The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by Minyan Man » 31 Mar 2020, 20:24

mom3, I'm sorry to hear that too. This really seems to be a strange period in my life time.

I pray that she recovers quickly.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2020, 05:25

That must be scary for you Mom. I hope it all comes out well for all of us.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 01 Apr 2020, 07:59

mom3 wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 17:43
My overseas daughter has contracted Covid19. She was tested Sunday. Confirmed this morning. She is on house quarantine but on the list for ambulance pick up if the fever portion kicks in.

The world is looking very different to me right now.
Oh, no, mom3. I'm so, so sorry. Please keep us informed, and we will keep her and you in our prayers. How hard, too, to be separated during this time.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Apr 2020, 21:23

We are on day 3 now. No fever yet. We hope one doesn't spike, but the ambulance is ready if it does. The minute it starts climbing she is supposed to call. She did just send a text (It's 4:00 am) saying the pain in her chest and cough were worse. She will call the advice desk at dawn. We are living on Zoom, Whatsapp, and other technology. She really can't talk because it ignites the cough. Even though the cough is never gone. It's like a severe case of bronchitis or pneumonia.

We keep tabs on her every couple of hours. We are having a family meal tomorrow. By Zoom. She will sip her dinner soup, we will eat and connect from where ever we are.

It's gonna be a long 14 days.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Apr 2020, 07:18

mom3, what country is she in? No fever is a good sign.

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 02 Apr 2020, 08:44

Does she live alone? I hope there is someone taking care of her.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Apr 2020, 14:21

I am so sorry Mom3.

It really makes it more real and urgent when someone you love is sick. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 02 Apr 2020, 16:14

She is a student at University of Glasgow in Scotland. She lives alone. We are living online as best we can. Yes having no fever is good. But even without it, this thing is a monster. It's like pneumonia on steroids. She can't breathe, she feels bricks are on her chest, the headache feels like two heavy metal chains pulling from your eyebrows over your head and down your spine. She is 28 years old. Not in the age bracket at all.

She can't do her laundry, take out her trash, barely can get up enough to grab food. And she prefers this to the hospital. The mortality rate at hospitals right now is 50%. So if you can stay out, do. We are thrilled for no fever, that is the saving grace at this point.

I've known a lot of things in life. Earthquakes, death, childbirth, bad relationships. This might top it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 Apr 2020, 20:06

I'm truly sorry mom3. I'm with you in spirit.
It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 03 Apr 2020, 08:37

I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, and don't even want to try to imagine what your daughter is going through. She'll be in my prayers. Just remember that the vast majority of people who were the sickest eventually did recover. This too shall pass.