The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Mar 2020, 18:20

Pres. Nelson has called for a worldwide fast. I don't recall such a thing happening in my church tenure.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 26 Mar 2020, 19:53

Braeden

Post by Braeden » 27 Mar 2020, 11:55

I was looking for a spot to post this because of how big the role of fear has caused this world to go crazy over this virus:

1 John 4:18

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Remember to help everyone out, show your love so that we can all get through this together!

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 29 Mar 2020, 09:45

This is probably a dumb question: can the sacrament be administered in your home with one Priesthood Holder?
Nothing from our ward or stake makes this clear?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 29 Mar 2020, 11:38

Provided the bishop has authorized the person, all it takes is one.
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
― Jesus

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Mar 2020, 19:11

We were directed today to cease getting together to do the sacrament and to cease taking it to others. We are still encouraged to do the sacrament and worship at home as families when there is an appropriate priesthood holder in the home. I know a couple people in my ward this is not going to sit well with.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2020, 17:17

I would love it if this made leadership realize there is absolutely nothing in the prayer itself that mandates it be spoken by someone who has been ordained to an office in the Priesthood. It is a tradition only. Granted, it is a long-standing tradition that might be hard to change, but we have done that in the past with other things.

I'm not holding my breath, but it would be wonderful.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 31 Mar 2020, 17:43

My overseas daughter has contracted Covid19. She was tested Sunday. Confirmed this morning. She is on house quarantine but on the list for ambulance pick up if the fever portion kicks in.

The world is looking very different to me right now.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 31 Mar 2020, 18:01

Oh no. I'm sorry mom3.

Most cases are mild. Most cases are mild. Most cases are mild.
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
― Jesus

mom3

Post by mom3 » 31 Mar 2020, 20:04

Oh no. I'm sorry mom3.

Most cases are mild. Most cases are mild. Most cases are mild.
Thanks Nibbler.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman