The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by mom3 » 14 Mar 2020, 18:31

Since I am loving the unrestricted time off - I would be okay not doing home meetings. I just heard they are closing cafe's in Paris. Cafe's are out in the open just a handful of people. So a room of 6 families is less contagious than 250?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Mar 2020, 18:36

TinSoldier wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:44
I received a message from my bishop that they're looking to organize small sacrament meetings to be held in members homes. Is this happening elsewhere? Who thinks this is a good idea?
Our bishop at the suggestion of the SP has authorized us to have sacrament at home. In homes with no priesthood they can go to someone nearby or ministering brothers can arrange it for them. Otherwise we can choose to do it as families or with other close by members. Our only member neighbors are what I would consider high risk and I think it best to not do it together.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 14 Mar 2020, 20:02

nibbler wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:53
however, no one is authorized to administer the sacrament.
I have to admit I am disappointed by that.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Mar 2020, 20:11

Anecdotal, but from what I've read online the majority of wards out there are allowing people to bless the sacrament in their own homes and they're working out a plan for people that don't have a PH holder in the home.

I guess if people are afraid, that ordinance can bring them comfort, but I'm wondering why it is so absolutely vital that we have the sacrament each and every week without fail, even to the point of risking public health.

IMO having a group of guys go to each home to do the sacrament is a risk to public health. Pick up a germ with one small group, carry it to the next. People are being asked to practice "social distancing." Don't know why we're so adamant on getting the sacrament that we're willing to ignore that.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 14 Mar 2020, 20:55

Nothing was said about this in our ward. I don't think that the Stake organized anything like this either. We had a significant jump in the
number of infected people in our state & city within the past 24 hours. Maybe that has something to do with it too.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Mar 2020, 11:15

Home Sacrament has been authorized in our stake.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 15 Mar 2020, 11:30

Maybe whether your ward allows people to bless the sacrament in their own homes is a good indication on whether your leadership roulette wheel likes to land on red or land on black. That information can be handy when placing future bets.

It's funny how the bishop has the keys to authorize but this sort of thing is almost always handled at the stake level.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Mar 2020, 12:40

nibbler wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 11:30
It's funny how the bishop has the keys to authorize but this sort of thing is almost always handled at the stake level.
Since I am for a short time (which just got at least a few weeks longer) privy to communications between our SP and the bishops I know our SP did start his message to them with "you hold the keys to administration of the sacrament" and "you can authorize them to administer the sacrament in their homes." The formal message we were allowed to do so in my ward came through the EQP and we were asked to make sure our ministering families knew there was no church and they could do the sacrament at home. The SP didn't specifically authorize home sacrament himself but did encourage it. He also referred to specific sections of the handbook (mostly 18.9) and asked all priesthood holders to review that section. I did not get that message from the EQP but since I regularly participate at church he may have just assumed I knew.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ebowalker

Post by Ebowalker » 15 Mar 2020, 13:44

What is to stop me, a female, from temporarily saying the sacrament benediction over my bread and water at home and taking the sacrament? Really, it’s between God and myself. Or Why does a PH holder have to be Physically present? Why can’t an authority say it in one place but it’s applied over an area? Why can’t this simple ceremony progress during challenging times?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Mar 2020, 17:42

Ebowalker wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 13:44
What is to stop me, a female, from temporarily saying the sacrament benediction over my bread and water at home and taking the sacrament? Really, it’s between God and myself. Or Why does a PH holder have to be Physically present? Why can’t an authority say it in one place but it’s applied over an area? Why can’t this simple ceremony progress during challenging times?
Nothing can really stop you, but don't let your bishop find out. Even the more progressive ones won't look kindly on a woman blessing the sacrament.

I don't know why it can't be done remotely.

My Introduction