The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Arrakeen

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by Arrakeen » 12 Mar 2020, 21:24

BYU classes canceled until Wednesday, when they will be moved online. Students are being encouraged to consider going home for the rest of the semester.

Codependent

Post by Codependent » 13 Mar 2020, 16:25

I have heard relatives say how inspired the prophet is to have brought about Home centered gospel study emphasis just when it was really needed, forgetting that this was supposed to be the GC to top all GCs. Oh well.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 13 Mar 2020, 20:04

download_20200313_210123.jpg
download_20200313_210123.jpg (33.16 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Mar 2020, 20:31

To be fair, it is extremely easy to see those things in what has happened, especially with a foundation of apocalyptic scriptural support.

Wars, pestilence, natural disasters, the world ending by fire . . .

There are some leaps of faith that are so massive it is hard to understand them - and there are others that make sense from a traditionally faithful perspective. For that reason, I tend to cut people some slack on this one.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Mar 2020, 21:28

Heber - Count my siblings as being on that bandwagon. We have a shared family page and the paragraph long testimonies blew my mind. I had forgotten what it feels like to a full believer. The bright side to that is it creates peace and optimism. Both things that help cure disease. Now is the first Fast & Testimony meeting in April going to be hard to listen to? Yes. Definitely. - Good thing it falls on Easter. I might be busy that day. Family and all.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Mar 2020, 04:39

mom3 wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 21:28
Heber - Count my siblings as being on that bandwagon. We have a shared family page and the paragraph long testimonies blew my mind. I had forgotten what it feels like to a full believer. The bright side to that is it creates peace and optimism. Both things that help cure disease. Now is the first Fast & Testimony meeting in April going to be hard to listen to? Yes. Definitely. - Good thing it falls on Easter. I might be busy that day. Family and all.
I agree true believers see it differently than I do, but that's mostly the result of my own experiences and faith transition. Like many other things I don't necessarily agree with or embrace I generally let it go - let them worship how, what, or where they may. I have on occasion asked when the last time any GA, especially an apostle, has mentioned food storage or prepping. It's generally kind of fun to watch the person's expressions, but then again my sense of humor is twisted. In answer to the question, it's been a very long time and on the church website it's buried better than the essays - you actually have to look for it.

Just a point to clarify: the next testimony would be March 29, but I don't think services will be back on yet. The church did send out a letter a couple weeks back changing April's fast day to March 29 so that we could have a "special" sacrament meeting on Easter and invite our friends (like at Christmas). I'm guessing that provided the virus has not significantly increased they will announce resumption of regular Sunday meetings at GC so we can meet on Easter. Of course I have the same issue I always have - why do we have to be reminded to have a special Christ/Easter centered meeting on Easter (or any other time)? At any rate, looks like we're spared a testimony meeting until May. And on the bright side, my own ward tends to do a good job at Christmas and Easter.

I know this won't happen but I have a secret hope that 0 hour home centered church catches on - it's even better than 2 hour church. Maybe I can hope this might at least usher in 1 hour church?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Mar 2020, 11:05

Brother DJ - I am with you on this one.
I know this won't happen but I have a secret hope that 0 hour home centered church catches on - it's even better than 2 hour church. Maybe I can hope this might at least usher in 1 hour church?
In my own county all schools have been cancelled for the next 6 weeks. I am okay if church does the same. And then some.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Mar 2020, 14:02

mom3 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 11:05
Brother DJ - I am with you on this one.
In my own county all schools have been cancelled for the next 6 weeks. I am okay if church does the same. And then some.
My county declared a "state of emergency" today after our first confirmed case was reported. All schools closed until April 13.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

TinSoldier

Post by TinSoldier » 14 Mar 2020, 16:44

I received a message from my bishop that they're looking to organize small sacrament meetings to be held in members homes. Is this happening elsewhere? Who thinks this is a good idea?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Mar 2020, 16:53

Yes. Our area is asking people to hold sacrament meetings in their homes and to invite neighbors and families you minister to in small groups, provided participants are comfortable; however, no one is authorized to administer the sacrament.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book