The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Mar 2020, 06:00

All church university graduations, etc. will be closed and streamed or available later online. BYU Women's Conference cancelled. Three US temples closed (Manhattan, Boston, Louisville KY) plus Paraguay and Denmark making the total closed temples (for the virus) 12.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/3/11 ... -19-mormon
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 12 Mar 2020, 06:45

mom3 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:55
In the last hour 2 or 3 people have asked on Facebook "Are we having regular church?" - Hmm.
I'm guessing attendance will be down for a while... which means I won't have to get there as early to get my favorite seat!
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 12 Mar 2020, 09:05

mom3 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:55
In the last hour 2 or 3 people have asked on Facebook "Are we having regular church?" - Hmm.
My poor humor would chime in, I thought ya'll were members of the true restored church with God's priesthood power on the earth? You guys believe in the Bible AND the BOM, both with countless stories of men and Jesus both healing the sick. Why aren't you stopping this virus yet?

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 12 Mar 2020, 09:22

It seems like if there ever was a moment for prophetic guidance, comfort and inspired perspective, this would be it. We have revelation about exclusion policies, adjusting church times and reorganizing priesthood and auxiliary organizations, but nothing on how to curb this pandemic or even comfort and guidance in uncertain and scary times.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Mar 2020, 12:26

Utah governor limits events to 100 people. Most wards have well in excess of 100 in attendance. Does that mean no church?

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/3/12/ ... ne-herbert

(Unfortunately my ward is not in Utah and we generally don't get 100 people.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Mar 2020, 16:02

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -suspended

Stay home ladies and gentlemen. Church meetings are "temporarily suspended worldwide."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Mar 2020, 16:42

Mormons of all people know, once the governor of the state you're headquartered in starts weighing in on things... :angel: :angel: :angel:

They probably had been sitting on the decision but had until Sunday to make the call, so they took the wait and see approach.

It's probably for the best. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 Mar 2020, 17:22

I blame Tom Hanks. He tipped the scale. It was going so good, the teeter totter - then he gets it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Mar 2020, 17:48

What a difference a few days can make. I'm glad the Church made the decision.
On a post I made yesterday about a family in my ward that did a lot traveling over the past few weeks, they are now in
voluntary quarantine.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 12 Mar 2020, 20:02

They sure went from 3 hours of church to, 2 hours, to no hours of church quickly.

They are smart to get out in front of this.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."