The Church & the Coronavirus

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Mar 2020, 06:29

The church has done some advanced planning for the Coronavirus. See attached article.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ry-27-2020

The emphasis seems to be on:
-Missionary Work (outside the US)
-Temple Work (outside the US & Washington State)
-Worship services (outside the US)
-General Conference (modified some meetings such as Leadership meeting)
-Other areas.

Nothing is being said in our area of the US (midwest states)
It seems to be business as usual. I wish they would communicate more within the Ward & Stake.
With special emphasis on: if you're sick, stay home. For example.

nibbler

Re: The Church & the Coronavirus

Post by nibbler » 11 Mar 2020, 07:27

Minyan Man wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 06:29
With special emphasis on: if you're sick, stay home. For example.
That's an important message that I think people need to hear, even during normal times.

I live in an area where there have been multiple confirmed cases of coronavirus... some just a few miles away. There was an announcement that came from an area authority that was read last Sunday. Highlights:
  • No plans to cancel sacrament meeting or church. IMO, other than primary, sacrament meeting is probably the most problematic. Most in attendance touch those trays. If we're not comfortable with cancelling church altogether, maybe we should suspend the ordinance for the time being?
  • If you want to stay home, you can. I'd like to see leaders be more proactive and go ahead and cancel church because 1) I don't trust sick people to stay at home, historically people have shown up to church while sick 2) You might be shedding the virus before you're symptomatic.
  • No hand shaking or hugs.
  • If you stay home you aren't authorized to bless the sacrament. If you want the sacrament, we'll send the priests. If the point of all of this is to limit contact with others I don't see how having priests go from house to house solves anything.
Schools in this area are closing and suspending activities. IMO church should follow suit. Closing church would take the decision to attend out of people's hands, meaning no indecision over whether someone is sick enough or whether they are the wrong kind of sick that should prevent them from attending church.

I'm still in the process of convincing family to stay home for a while, take a wait and see approach. Not that I'm particularly paranoid, but because I don't think attendance every Sunday is absolutely essential. Church will still be there when things get better and no one is missing anything.

Think of that one church in the DC area where the guy handing out communion tested positive for coronavirus. We could easily have that exact same scenario play out in one of our wards.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Mar 2020, 09:41

Just as I post this, we get the following from HQ:
https://www.ldsliving.com/First-Preside ... dium=email

I think this is a good idea. It is better to be cautious.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Mar 2020, 09:43

Breaking news:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/20 ... ges-176727

-No spectators at GC.
-Provo and England MTCs "closed" (missionaries slated to go there will get online training)
-Stake and leadership conferences are "postponed" in US/Canada, Asia, Europe

All of this effective March 16.

( :D It just so happens our SC is scheduled for March 21-22. I am so upset about this. ;) )
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Mar 2020, 10:35

Nelson did say that the up-coming April conference would be unique.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Mar 2020, 11:20

nibbler wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:35
Nelson did say that the up-coming April conference would be unique.
And prophets do have that way of saying something without saying something.... (See Isaiah, for example.) :shh:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 11 Mar 2020, 11:25

I hope that the church might use this opportunity to evaluate how many of our meeting are really critical and how many could be reasonably done by other means.

I am especially thinking of leadership training meetings involving travel or an increase in the access to online seminary. :o :o :o
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Mar 2020, 13:26

Think of the damage one infected person can do during a pandemic. I have friends who went to Laos, Thailand & Italy within the past few
weeks. I'm sure they will be in church on Sunday. We raise our right hand to sustain & show support for our local leaders. At times like this
they need to make some tough decisions. I would prefer they acted on the side of caution.

The other option is, we make our own decision about staying home on Sunday. That's what I plan to do.

grobert93

Post by grobert93 » 11 Mar 2020, 13:55

Roy wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 11:25
I hope that the church might use this opportunity to evaluate how many of our meeting are really critical and how many could be reasonably done by other means.

I am especially thinking of leadership training meetings involving travel or an increase in the access to online seminary. :o :o :o
Think of how many hours saved every week leadership could devote to their families? Think about how much personal money could be saved if the church provided better budgets for activities. imagine how quickly we could focus on our savior instead of the prophet if we were "allowed" the bless the sacrament at home, to perform ordinances in local areas. Imagine the progress we could make, if we let go of 1950s living culture and realized the digital age can be a great advantage?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Mar 2020, 14:56

grobert93 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 13:55
imagine how quickly we could focus on our savior instead of the prophet if we were "allowed" the bless the sacrament at home [snip]
One thought that's crept up while processing the announcement my area received...

I appreciate how not every home has someone that holds an office in the priesthood that could bless the sacrament, so moving to a model where they authorized people to do this in their homes would create haves and have-nots. On the other hand, it feels like the only reason we take such a hard line approach is because allowing people to bless the sacrament in their homes invalidates one of the primary answers to the question, "Why go to church?" Because church controls access to the ordinance of the sacrament.

Maybe this is a research topic for me, but I do wonder where the tradition of doing the sacrament every Sunday originated.