BYU Honor Code and Handbook Changes

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

BYU Honor Code and Handbook Changes

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Feb 2020, 17:25

BYU recently changed the Honor Code in a significant way - moving "homosexual behavior" from the prohibitions. Sexual activity now is treated equally, with same-sex hand holding, kissing, etc. allowed just like those activities among heterosexual students. By extension, bi-sexual activity fits within the new standard. Also, of note, investigations no longer may be generated by student OR ecclesiastical concerns/suspicions.

The new Handbook changes regarding transgender members follow similar lines. Reassignment surgery no longer triggers excommunication or disfellowshipment; transgender individuals may be baptized and hold callings; etc.

I would like to see more, but these are huge changes.

I hope the members "follow the Prophet" on this one. :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LDS_Scoutmaster

Re: BYU Honor Code and Handbook Changes

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 26 Feb 2020, 15:59

I recently got back on to Twitter and saw a lot of posts regarding saving byu etc. Not having attended I didn't have the same feeling of nostalgia for the way things were or changes.

Hopefully there will be some middle ground for people on both sides.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 26 Feb 2020, 21:23

I've seen mostly positive reactions from other students so far. Though many are disappointed that the change had nothing to do with beards.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Feb 2020, 08:21

I admit that at first I was skeptical and I didn't fully see what BYU was saying. The handbook itself is quite vague on the subject but BYU is being more descript IMO. I'm glad for the changes and hope the more conservatives (especially the more militant ones) can see their way to letting progress happen.

I have children at BYU. This is just a point of interest, I suppose, but one of them has an openly gay professor and they discussed this and other handbook changes in class. When my oldest started at BYU 10 years ago this would never have happened.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 27 Feb 2020, 16:03

This is a good change!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 28 Feb 2020, 16:33

BYU as an institution is under pressure to have an official non-discrimination policy. (BYU-I, BYU-H, and Ensign College haven't felt this pressure, yet.) This pressure is coming from accreditation bodies as well as grad schools and employers who discount the value of a BYU undergraduate degree.

Therefore, the institution is now "officially" non-discriminatory. However, every student still has to get an ecclesiastical endorsement every year from their respective bishops. In effect, the university has delegated the policing of LGBTQ students from the honor code office to the bishops of student wards. Some of those bishops will be decent human beings and others will be complete jerks. Leadership roulette at its finest.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Feb 2020, 09:34

That might be true, but removing the official restriction means it is okay to be openly non-heterosexual at BYU. That means no ecclesiastical leader will be able deny an endorsement based on, "You can't be you there. It is against the rules."

Yes, roulette still is in play, but now a leader has to disregard policy to withhold an endorsement - and they can't use sexual or gender orientation as a legitimate policy reason. That is an important aspect of the change.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 04 Mar 2020, 15:36

This was so poorly rolled out and walked back. I am wondering if the Church did not think that LGBTQ students at BYU would take it this far and would be more discreet or that they would keep the status quo and the Church would get some PR points and take less heat from recruiters and other universities. It seemed like everyone was totally unprepared to answer basic questions about affection and dating and everyone scrambled to come up with a roll back "clarification" several weeks after the toothpaste was out of the tube.

I fear this will do much more PR harm than good in the long run and is going to further alienate many BYU students and progressive Church members.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 04 Mar 2020, 16:20

I think it will bring more bad PR than if they would have just left it alone.

I did hear there was a small number of students that were adamant "this isn't right!!!". Those individuals are going to be even more emboldened. :(

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Mar 2020, 21:31

To say I am disappointed by the recent statements about the policy would be an understatement.

Literally, the policy changed. It didn't need a doctrinal clarification. It was a University policy. It would have been fine if it conflicted with someone's idea of what the current doctrine is.

All-or-nothing mindsets drive me crazy. Let there be some gray.