A General Observation.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

A General Observation.

Post by Minyan Man » 24 Feb 2020, 07:13

I hope this isn't off base. But, sometimes the church seems very odd to me. This is one example. Attached is a recent announcement regarding the WIFI network. https://www.ldsliving.com/Church-Announ ... ss/s/92404

What is the purpose of a password if you're going to advertise it?
The old password was used within the organization (ward & stake) but not widely publicly distributed as far as I know.

If this is too petty or off base, please remove. It just seems odd to me in so many ways.

DarkJedi

Re: A General Observation.

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Feb 2020, 08:07

I agree, it is odd. The old network/password (LDSAccess/Pioneer47) were standard church wide as this one is, and you could find that via Google or people would just tell you. I think the new Liahona/Alma3738 is weird, honestly, because there is so much they could have done - even just changing the network name to something like ChurchofJesusChrist because we don't actually type that in on a phone we just pick it off the list. Whatever. I think the only advantage the new network has, from a church/organization point of view, is that you've consented to the user agreement each time. Where I work we all have to sign a paper with the user agreement (it's for work use only, we won't go to inappropriate sites, we won't share private information about clients or employees, etc.) and if you do anything that violates that agreement that's the first thing they pull out ("You agreed that...."). Consenting to an "online" user agreement each day is the next best thing.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Feb 2020, 09:52

For me the strangest thing was one of the stated reasons for the change.
To align with direction regarding the correct use of the name of the Church, the wireless network is meetinghouses and other Church facilities will be changing from "LDSAccess" to "Liahona."
I don't get:
1) Why aligning the data access point name with the name of the church would even be necessary.
2) How "Liahona" moves us any closer to aligning with the correct name of the church.
3) Does someone really, and I mean really hate the term LDS?

A simple, "Because it's been a while and we wanted to change it." is a perfectly valid reason to make the change. The stated reason is... insulting? Inane?
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 25 Feb 2020, 12:53

I can see them changing the logon and password every few years as a formality, clears it the users that are in the area of a building and just leeching off of free internet.
But yes the ' aligning with correct name' made no sense whatsoever, unless they are trying to home the the internet is out current day liahona.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Feb 2020, 13:12

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2/25 ... -lake-city

I think they should have named it Liahona College. :P

(The article is about renaming LDS Business College Ensign College)

ETA: I got it! I predict the next name change of something will be New Era followed by Friend. :P

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Feb 2020, 16:35

DarkJedi wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:12
nibbler wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 09:52
Yes. Yes indeed. Someone does.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 25 Feb 2020, 18:00

Roy wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 16:35
DarkJedi wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:12
nibbler wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 09:52
Yes. Yes indeed. Someone does.
I think I know who the someone is and his initials may be RMN.

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Feb 2020, 07:19

I personally do not hate the term (I don't mind it, generally.), but I understand that LDS, like Mormon, makes it easy for other Christians to claim we aren't Christian.

The website stuff seems picky, but, overall, I have no negative feelings about focusing on the Jesus Christ in our church name.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 26 Feb 2020, 07:27

Curt Sunshine wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 07:19
I personally do not hate the term (I don't mind it, generally.), but I understand that LDS, like Mormon, makes it easy for other Christians to claim we aren't Christian.

The website stuff seems picky, but, overall, I have no negative feelings about focusing on the Jesus Christ in our church name.
I think you're right, Curt, and I don't hate either of them either. It's just odd to me that LDS is a no-no but Latter-day Saint is not necessarily.

My Introduction

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 26 Feb 2020, 16:04

Will using the term LDS be like using D&C (rather than saying doctrine and covenants)? On my mission it was a no-no as it was too close to an abortion medical procedure.

...Didn't make sense to me then either.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.