Another idea for what it's worth.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

Another idea for what it's worth.

Post by Minyan Man » 04 Feb 2020, 14:56

I've been thinking since a post by TinSoldier's Introduction & comments from DarkJedi. The discussion involved Temple Sealings & the thought
that at some level, we all will be sealed as a common family. BYU has a web site called: relativefinder.org. This web site asks you to sign in
using your FamilySearch.org account. It compares all user accounts & tells you who you're related to (both living & dead). You can set up a group
that specifically looks at members of the group & tells you if we're related. It would be completely voluntary & even password protected, if
desired. We could set up a group for StayLDS.com. The more names enrolled & the more names on your family tree the more connections you
make. We have done it for our Ward, Stake & Temple District. The results are very interesting.

There are people in our ward, for example, that greet each other as: "Hi Cousin".

My thought is: this could help show that we are more related than we can imagine.
Maybe the Administrators could discuss & decide if it's feasible. If not, I completely understand.

Minyan Man

Re: Another idea for what it's worth.

Post by Minyan Man » 04 Feb 2020, 15:49

There is another consideration that you should be aware of. In this group, you would be identified by your
login name in FamilySearch not from StayLDS.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 05 Feb 2020, 06:14

It looks like you can customize what you are called on the site, not necessarily visible as your login name.

Go ahead and set it up and I am willing to confirm it :lol:

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Feb 2020, 06:52

In my case my (formerly known as) lds.org and familysearch.org account are one and the same. If I change the public name on my familysearch.org account then 'nibbler' is going to show up on my ward roster.
He who sits alone, sleeps alone, and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues himself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest.
— Buddha

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 06 Feb 2020, 12:41

Minyan Man wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 14:56
I've been thinking since a post by TinSoldier's Introduction & comments from DarkJedi. The discussion involved Temple Sealings & the thought
that at some level, we all will be sealed as a common family. BYU has a web site called: relativefinder.org. This web site asks you to sign in
using your FamilySearch.org account. It compares all user accounts & tells you who you're related to (both living & dead). You can set up a group
that specifically looks at members of the group & tells you if we're related. It would be completely voluntary & even password protected, if
desired. We could set up a group for StayLDS.com. The more names enrolled & the more names on your family tree the more connections you
make. We have done it for our Ward, Stake & Temple District. The results are very interesting.

There are people in our ward, for example, that greet each other as: "Hi Cousin".

My thought is: this could help show that we are more related than we can imagine.
Maybe the Administrators could discuss & decide if it's feasible. If not, I completely understand.
I love the idea! We did it in our ward a few years back. I found a second cousin and a third cousin, and we now address each other as "cousin." I would definitely participate.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Feb 2020, 15:32

There are some horrible mistakes that people have made when altering my family tree... I have never managed to correct them.

I found out I was related to someone I baptized which was cool. It was also suggested I was related to a family in the ward who I am great friends with but have learning difficulties and are semi-literate so for that reason I am skeptical of their research.

I don't have pioneer ancestry, but I do have relatives who went to the States. I believe I am probably a distant relative of Pres. McKay, although I cannot prove a direct link.

I suppose it really depends how far you want to go. Maybe I have some twentieth cousins on this board, but by that degree we'd barely be related!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Feb 2020, 19:59

Have any of the Administrators for StayLDS considered this idea? I could go ahead & set it up but, I don't want to do it
without the Administrator making the final decision to do it. Plus, they have to decide how it would be Organized & run.
I would not like to make that decision on my own.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Feb 2020, 17:41

Personally, I have no problem with it - as something done outside this forum for anyone here who wants to participate. I also wouldn't have a problem posting a link to it here - again, as long as it was set up outside our forum and was not affiliated with us in any way.

We can't do it as an official aspect of this site, however. There are too many potential confidentiality issues, especially if those who lurk could discover someone they know here but were not aware of previously.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Feb 2020, 18:22

I want to make sure I understand:
- don't use the name StayLDS or the web address.
- whoever joins can use their real name or something else that is defined within FamilySearch.org.
- participation is strictly voluntary.
- I probably wouldn't use a password to protect who joins.
- I probably would use a title for the group that is known only by members of this site.
- My real name would be shown as the Administrator.
- As Administrator, I would be the only one that can manage the site or reassign it to someone else.

The only concern is: what description of the group do I use to define who we are without revealing StayLDS?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Feb 2020, 06:50

Curt Sunshine wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 17:41
Personally, I have no problem with it - as something done outside this forum for anyone here who wants to participate. I also wouldn't have a problem posting a link to it here - again, as long as it was set up outside our forum and was not affiliated with us in any way.

We can't do it as an official aspect of this site, however. There are too many potential confidentiality issues, especially if those who lurk could discover someone they know here but were not aware of previously.
I agree with Curt's assessment. To the latter point, I will likely not participate because of my own privacy concerns. But I have no opposition to opening the opportunity for those who would like to participate.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction