Restriction on Christmas Sacrament Meeting

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Restriction on Christmas Sacrament Meeting

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Nov 2019, 10:34

I know, different places, different leaders. Our SP is somewhat progressive but very Christ centered (which in some cases could be progressive). We had stake council last night where the SP introduced the 2019 "light the world" campaign with materials he got from the AA. It sounds nothing like what others have described. You can see for yourselves on 11/14 when light the world goes fully live.

In a nutshell:
-Dec. 22 will be a "special Christ centered" SM and no other meetings except that units are encouraged to have social time with refreshments afterwards. The SP used "just like last year" in reference to the special SM. In fairness, my ward, and I believe my stake, did well at it last year but we do tend to be more Christ centered and my ward has always done well for Christmas. Maybe having "coffee and donuts" afterwards will make others feel more comfortable because it's more similar to their own churches?
-There is a video which I believe will be on light the world that has a similar theme to others I have seen recently with the "come and see" theme. This one does specifically say come and pray, come and sing, come and worship (and perhaps something else) specifically referencing the above SM.
-You can sign up on light the world to get daily prompts for small acts of one-on-one kindness throughout December.
-There is a new Nativity video which is apparently very moving and well done.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Nov 2019, 11:15

Invite your friends because we're going to have a special meeting that focuses on Christ sounds like the advertisement I've heard for the last several years now. That the meeting is considered special because of a focus on Christ has very sad implications about the rest of our SMs.

I also recall the instruction was to hold SM only but in our ward that translated into SM being very close to two hours long. My ward does not do brevity. We're always cutting out the rest hymns to give people more time to talk talk talk.

I've never heard the thing about limiting music numbers though. Every year we've done Christmas our ward has done the thing where someone reads a line out of Luke 2, the choir or congregation sings a Christmas hymn that corresponds to the verse, we cycle on that pattern for about 8 songs, the BP speaks, the end.

That said, I'm also in my ward's choir and we haven't practiced anything for the Christmas program yet. I haven't inquired about it.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Nov 2019, 12:31

nibbler wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 11:15
Invite your friends because we're going to have a special meeting that focuses on Christ sounds like the advertisement I've heard for the last several years now. That the meeting is considered special because of a focus on Christ has very sad implications about the rest of our SMs.
Agreed. I think I said earlier that it's sad we have to be reminded to talk about Christ in SM. I have seen vast improvement over the past few years in this respect but it's still not totally there.
I also recall the instruction was to hold SM only but in our ward that translated into SM being very close to two hours long. My ward does not do brevity. We're always cutting out the rest hymns to give people more time to talk talk talk.
We don't generally have a rest hymn in my ward these days, but sometimes we do. Other units in the stake do regularly have rest hymns. They don't usually cut them and the meetings tend to go over. (My ward tends to go over even without them.) I don't anticipate a longer than usual SM, and I think last year the instruction was specific that it was supposed to be an hour. The SP said we "leaders" should all get an email about the whole thing from HQ shortly.
I've never heard the thing about limiting music numbers though. Every year we've done Christmas our ward has done the thing where someone reads a line out of Luke 2, the choir or congregation sings a Christmas hymn that corresponds to the verse, we cycle on that pattern for about 8 songs, the BP speaks, the end.
We've done this before but not recently. We tend to have quite a bit of singing, including Primary, and a couple shorter talks. One is usually by the bishop under the current regime.
That said, I'm also in my ward's choir and we haven't practiced anything for the Christmas program yet. I haven't inquired about it.
Our ward has struggled with a choir the last few years, partly because the previous choir director just threw up her hands and gave up. We just got a new director and it was announced we will be singing at Christmas but that was just last Sunday. We have not yet practiced anything. When I first returned to activity I was not inclined to be part of the choir and it was almost non-existent then (that was shortly before she gave up). I have agreed to be part of the choir this time, but I'm gone at least 2 of the 5 Sundays between now and Dec. 22 so if practices are right before or after church (likely after) I'll not get much practice. I can do bass or tenor, and usually end up tenor since there are fewer tenors but I generally don't like either part because they tend to be monotone. (I love the tenor part to Away in a Manger.)

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 14 Nov 2019, 06:22

DarkJedi wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 10:34
In a nutshell:
-Dec. 22 will be a "special Christ centered" SM and no other meetings....
Is this part confirmed? I have heard an indirect rumor from 2-3 sources at my branch listed as offhand comments about something else. Unfortunately, I read into their non-verbals that this was off-hand knowledge that I should already know, so I haven't followed up on it (because I didn't know).

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Nov 2019, 07:53

AmyJ wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 06:22
DarkJedi wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 10:34
In a nutshell:
-Dec. 22 will be a "special Christ centered" SM and no other meetings....
Is this part confirmed? I have heard an indirect rumor from 2-3 sources at my branch listed as offhand comments about something else. Unfortunately, I read into their non-verbals that this was off-hand knowledge that I should already know, so I haven't followed up on it (because I didn't know).
It came directly from my SP who was reading off materials he got from the AA. He showed a few videos as well, one of which was about inviting people to the special Christmas service - that's the one with the come and pray, come and sing, come and worship. The only one I can see that's generally available to everyone is the trailer for the new Nativity video.

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 14 Nov 2019, 08:58

Is the AA Elder Scrooge? :D

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Nov 2019, 09:19

LookingHard wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 08:58
That might explain things. There's no progression because they refuse to acknowledge the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 14 Nov 2019, 10:32

I think in some areas, over time some traditions keep getting bigger and bigger and adding more things that were once nice ideas but start to get out of balance, and so some areas leaders try to course correct a little and bring it back down to basics...which isn't a bad thing. It can remind people what the meetings are supposed to be about.

Hopefully it doesn't make it such a basic meeting that Joseph Smith is talked about on Christmas instead of Jesus. Some people attend only during holidays...we should still emphasize the savior during that season...hopefully.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Nov 2019, 16:24

LookingHard wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 08:58
Perhaps the Scrooge at the end of the book. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the AA, but 1) I think he's mostly just passing along info from his "superiors" and 2) I can't complain about focusing on Christ at Christmas.

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Nov 2019, 20:00

This is what our Stake sent out. No more details than this.
nvitation Sunday

On December 22, the Church invites all wards to host a special Christmas service designed to inspire those who may not be of our faith. The hope is each member will prayerfully consider someone they can invite to church for this Christmas service
Now to be honest last years special was lousy in my ward. No one even did a basic Luke 2 reading. Then to kill time the Bishop bore testimony of loving music. I am sitting there wondering why just didn't crack open the hymnbook and sing through the Christmas section. But we were still stuck with time so the 1st Counselor spoke about youth temple baptisms that took place the week or day before.

That was Christmas. In fairness the 2 talks were Christ centered. Just not specific Christmas.

This year I am going to a local Christian Christmas Eve Service. And calling it done.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman