Have you seen this happening in your region of the world?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

Re: Have you seen this happening in your region of the world?

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Nov 2019, 10:12

After further review, this is a national effort for a class action lawsuit. It is not just the midwest. The law firm is located in California.
It would be interesting to know how extensive a problem this is within the church.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 06 Nov 2019, 12:39

Sheldon wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 13:21
California just changed the law removing the statute of limitation on reporting child molestation. There have been many lawyer commercials on TV advertising their services. They don’t mention any particular organization, but you get the idea that BSA and the Catholic church are who they are after.
Those do seem to be the 2 biggest targets. I do kind of wonder if LDS and JW's get dragged into any of these. Of course the BSA and the LDS church have been somewhat intertwined. It could be that some suits go after the BSA, but the troop was LDS and this might come up as the story is told - either in court or just to the public such as documentaries.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Nov 2019, 12:55

Sheldon wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 13:21
California just changed the law removing the statute of limitation on reporting child molestation. There have been many lawyer commercials on TV advertising their services. They don’t mention any particular organization, but you get the idea that BSA and the Catholic church are who they are after.
NY temporarily removed some of the statute of limitations for a 1 year period. If I'm understanding correctly, the statute itself hasn't been changed, but the ability of the victims to sue the alleged perpetrators has been given a temporary unlimited time, meaning even if the alleged offense occurred way past the statute of limitations they can still sue. But they can only do that during this year time frame, and then things are back to normal limitations. I suspect this could also figure in to this picture, although again I haven't seen those ads here. Immediately after the temporary window opened there were many news stories about victims suing individuals and organizations (such as BSA) for things that happened as long ago as the 1960s. It should be noted that Mormons currently make up less than half of 1% of NY's population and that's now - I'm sure it was less in the 60s and 70s, so the likelihood of the offense occurring then was also less.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 Nov 2019, 17:05

This is ultra-American. You'd never see this around here. We do have ads for people involved in accidents, but the litigation culture isn't so prevalent.

I'm not a fan of ambulance chasers to be honest, they do more harm than good. If the abuse happened forty plus years ago, most of those involved will be old or dead, and also retired. Also how is anyone supposed to remember what happened that long ago? I struggle to remember a month ago, and if someone asked me what I was doing a month ago at this exact time I would struggle to tell you.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

desertghost93

Post by desertghost93 » 12 Nov 2019, 00:07

DarkJedi wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 08:12
Can't say that I have. I live in the northeast US where the church population is less than 1% of the total population. I Googled it though, and it appears to be about suing the church for covering up sexual abuse. It was only a matter of time before this happened, and I'm pretty sure the church is ready. I like to think, and hope, that hidden abuse in the church is not on the same scale as the Catholic Church or Boy Scouts. Statistically it's pretty likely to be on a smaller scale.
I think while the church has it's fair share of faults, I do think they would NEVER allow this sort of thing to be swept under the rug on the same scale as the Catholic church. I sure hope this is the case. That would be incredibly embarrassing. I do recall the church has changed their policy when reporting abuse as well. I could be wrong, but I think there is a hotline that was set up for leaders to report this. Not to mention, aren't religious leaders mandatory reporters?
Last edited by desertghost93 on 12 Nov 2019, 00:14, edited 2 times in total.

desertghost93

Post by desertghost93 » 12 Nov 2019, 00:09

In the SW and have never seen this either. Sounds like some lawyers trying to make a quick buck. Just like SamBee said, I don't like ambulance chasers either. They remind me of leeches.

Perhaps I am just naive, but I just don't understand why churches including our faith struggles in this department.

mfree6464

Post by mfree6464 » 14 Nov 2019, 08:59

We have a paid cable subscription through a very major provider that allows us to view recorded shows anywhere via the internet. My wife was watching a show on her laptop last week and called me over when she saw this being advertised during a commercial break. We live in the southeastern US.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 18 Nov 2019, 08:10

desertghost93 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 00:09
In the SW and have never seen this either. Sounds like some lawyers trying to make a quick buck. Just like SamBee said, I don't like ambulance chasers either. They remind me of leeches.

Perhaps I am just naive, but I just don't understand why churches including our faith struggles in this department.
I should have added a clarification - I can never condone abuse, or indeed, false allegations... My main gripe here is with the parasitic element, like you.

Do organizations have a responsibility towards children? You betcha. I would never say otherwise. And past mistakes should not be repeated. But some organizations such as the Scouts, which have brought much joy and happy memories to many children, are being destroyed by this culture. As the old saying goes, the baby is being thrown out with the bath water. And in many cases, the people involved will never get full justice because the perps are dead.

I got severely assaulted (non-sexually by the way) by a kindergarten teacher decades ago, and I think I am still affected by it. But the woman who did it, is almost certainly dead or very old. I was so small I can't remember her name or even appearance and I think I repressed the incident. But I can remember the aftermath. Trying to find witnesses would be a huge task. If they remembered. If I sued her, I would end up with some money but still have the memories of recovering from it and it wouldn't make me happier. My best hope is that it doesn't happen to children that age in the present or future.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 18 Nov 2019, 08:47

desertghost93 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 00:07
DarkJedi wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 08:12
Can't say that I have. I live in the northeast US where the church population is less than 1% of the total population. I Googled it though, and it appears to be about suing the church for covering up sexual abuse. It was only a matter of time before this happened, and I'm pretty sure the church is ready. I like to think, and hope, that hidden abuse in the church is not on the same scale as the Catholic Church or Boy Scouts. Statistically it's pretty likely to be on a smaller scale.
I think while the church has it's fair share of faults, I do think they would NEVER allow this sort of thing to be swept under the rug on the same scale as the Catholic church. I sure hope this is the case. That would be incredibly embarrassing. I do recall the church has changed their policy when reporting abuse as well. I could be wrong, but I think there is a hotline that was set up for leaders to report this. Not to mention, aren't religious leaders mandatory reporters?
I think who is a mandated reporter varies by state. I don't believe pastors, etc., are in my state. I used to have a friend who was a Catholic priest (he passed away a few years ago) and I do recall him saying something about it being a confidentiality thing similar to a lawyer. The example he used was that if a parishioner confessed murder to him during confession he could not in turn report that to the police or anyone else. He could encourage the individual to turn himself in (and would have) but he was required to keep that confidentiality. He also said he felt fortunate to have never been placed in that kind of situation.

In my state I know it's all medical workers, anyone who works in a school, and people like social workers who are mandated. At the same time, my state does have a 24-hour hotline and anyone can call and remain anonymous if they wish. In the case of the priest, if he was the only one the perpetrator ever told he wouldn't really be anonymous - but that's the real moral dilemma. Do you risk the confidentiality and whatever ramifications with that or do you save the kid? I think it can be a tough spot.

All of that said, I also am aware there is a church hotline for leaders to call and get information on what they're supposed to do if they become aware of abuse. Again, because state laws are different I think the church just can't make a blanket policy. I have also wondered what kind of situation I might be in were I a bishop because I am a mandated reporter because of my job. Am I going to lose my job/license because a church lawyer tells me not to report a case of abuse? Absolutely not, my job is my livelihood. Release me as bishop, don't destroy my career.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 18 Nov 2019, 11:51

DarkJedi wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 08:47
Am I going to lose my job/license because a church lawyer tells me not to report a case of abuse? Absolutely not, my job is my livelihood. Release me as bishop, don't destroy my career.
As a bit of a tangent, one of the reasons that has been put forth in opposition to the proposed new Utah rule banning conversion therapy is the fear that liscenced therapists serving as bishops may lose their liscence for advice/counseling they give in their role as bishops. This reason was not in the initial document detailing the opposition that Family Services had to the proposed new rule but was mentioned by a church spokesman in a later Deseret News article discussing the church opposition.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13