Have you seen this happening in your region of the world?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

Have you seen this happening in your region of the world?

Post by Minyan Man » 31 Oct 2019, 07:39

I live in the midwest. The total LDS membership in our area compared to the total population is very small. Recently, I
have seen advertisements on the television for a class action lawsuit (I'm assuming). It is titled: abuse by mormonism.
It came as a total surprise. Has anyone else heard of it?

I'm sure there are forms of abuse occurring within the Church. Especially in the more heavily populated areas of the country.
I'm just curious.

DarkJedi

Re: Have you seen this happening in your region of the world?

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Oct 2019, 08:12

Can't say that I have. I live in the northeast US where the church population is less than 1% of the total population. I Googled it though, and it appears to be about suing the church for covering up sexual abuse. It was only a matter of time before this happened, and I'm pretty sure the church is ready. I like to think, and hope, that hidden abuse in the church is not on the same scale as the Catholic Church or Boy Scouts. Statistically it's pretty likely to be on a smaller scale.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 31 Oct 2019, 10:11

I echo what DJ said.

I haven't heard of it. I live in the US pacific NW. I am an above average consumer of Mormon happenings.

I am aware of instances of sexual abuse in various contexts relating to the LDS church. It would not surprise me if there had been instances to cover certain instances up or make them go away quietly. Even lawsuit settlements with NDA's are an attempt to keep things quiet.

I likewise assume that whatever might have happened was not on the same scale as the catholic or boy scouts situations.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Oct 2019, 17:01

Nope. Not where I live.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 31 Oct 2019, 18:55

This is the website they used in their advertisement.
https://abusedinmormonism.com/

The total LDS population in our area is .4% of the total population. I didn't see this kind of advertising when the Catholic church was
at the height of their sex scandal. They comprise about 25% of the population. It just seems strange to me.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 01 Nov 2019, 05:26

I live in a area full of Mormons (like 90% in our county)

Never heard of this.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 01 Nov 2019, 05:36

I have heard of it. I would 100% agree that this isn't the same issue as within the catholic church. That seems to be much more about the church knowing priests were sexually abusing kids and they just move the priest to cover it up.

The issues I have heard about are much more like the issues within the Jehovah's Witnesses. More of being worried about the good name of the church over helping victims and instead doing more to help to try and just keep the story quiet.

I do think there have been improvements in the church, both from society affecting members and some small steps from the church. But like was mentioned, to some extent it was just a matter of time as more people are feeling embolden to not stay quiet about past abuses. This isn't just about the church, it is about this issue in society at large.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Nov 2019, 05:55

LookingHard wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 05:36
I do think there have been improvements in the church, both from society affecting members and some small steps from the church.
And I do think that's an important point. Last year's change of having two adults in a classroom or activity and the recent child abuse training are a couple examples of how the church has recognized some possible pitfalls and made adjustments. Clearer guidelines and allowing another adult in bishop's youth interviews is another. Some could say these are less pro-active and more protective in that the church could see the lawsuits coming but does that really matter as long as the changes are being made before things get to the scale of the Catholic Church or BSA?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 01 Nov 2019, 06:47

The only thing I can come up with is either:

1. This is really a problem in our "corner of the kingdom" & they are sincerely looking for victims to come forward. Or,
2. This is a fishing expedition.

With the church in our area being so small, we are a relatively close knit organization.
IMO, if there were a real problem there would be a lot of gossip going around & there is absolutely nothing that
I can detect socially. I'm not always in the loop. Time will tell.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 01 Nov 2019, 13:21

California just changed the law removing the statute of limitation on reporting child molestation. There have been many lawyer commercials on TV advertising their services. They don’t mention any particular organization, but you get the idea that BSA and the Catholic church are who they are after.