Area devotional?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Area devotional?

Post by Roy » 22 Oct 2019, 10:02

DarkJedi wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:30
nibbler wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:19
Roy wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:03
I was curious what the danger was that Elder Ballard was warning about. He seams to be talking about this nation at a "crossroads". Could be interpreted several different ways, I suppose. Crossroads just means we have choices ahead. When would that not be the case?
It's likely anxiety and fear over the widening divisions in the US, a fear that people are becoming more polarized rather than more united, and possibly fear over violence stemming from that divide.
I know I'm a cynic, I mostly interpreted it as veiled "religious freedom" which is itself just veiled anti-gay marriage. I do recognize there are other possibilities though.
He followed that "crossroads" statement with lots of talk about prayer and the founding fathers and how they saw the hand of God in their lives. I interpreted that to be a crossroads between a Christian nation under God and a more secular governance and identity. I know that there is some overlap between these three interpretations but I find it instructive that we all three got somewhat different ideas about Elder Ballard's "warning" and "crossroads".
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Oct 2019, 14:00

We aren't off the hook.
[Serious and Tongue-in-Cheek Comment] We are supposed to be raising sin-resistant, covenant-path driven children and to fulfill prophecy by using our influence (our light) to inspire other women (and their families) to join our church. Oh, we are also supposed to be managing/running the "Come Follow Me" program in our home (and probably the youth program by extension when it comes out). Also under that umbrella by extension is family scripture study, FHE, and family prayer.

I think that I am batting .25 out of the 4 on that one (my rebellious daughter is a little sin-resistant I think, and I take .25 credit for that).

I guess that my mission is to raise sin-aware and informed children who understand that they are forging their own path by their choices (in part) and to inspire the people around me to be their best selves. I am not managing or running "Come Follow Me" in my home, but I contribute to the youth programs when I can. I am working with my family to develop habits of respect, good communication, and thoughtful living (thinking about what we put in our bodies, how to work to improve in sustaining the environment, and how to make the best choices possible).
Well lets see. None of my kids attend anymore. My adult daughters do like doing the Come Follow Me thing. They had a great dad who taught seminary and they love diving into the ancient texts. A little nerdy there. FHE, Family Prayer, all of it - not happening in this home. Family vacations, holidays, tons of love, service to the truly needy, hard working, friendly, responsible, honest, reliable, smart, dedicated. That's what I got.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Oct 2019, 14:04

On the prayer for the country (Yes I know this was local, US, regional) but are we the only country in trouble? My husband has 2 gay German friends. My daughter is living in the UK and has Muslim friends (and a pack of partiers from other nations - someone spiked the Thanksgiving soup with weed last week). I am just curious how bad it is getting?

The other thing is - it's 200 years old bad. Did we pray against automobiles, space ships, indoor plumbing? - Those changed the world, too.

And what about this little scripture my mom taught me, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind."? Where does that fit in?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman