Area devotional?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Sheldon

Re: Area devotional?

Post by Sheldon » 21 Oct 2019, 14:24

felixfabulous wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 07:27
I read the DesNews article this morning and was struck by this line: “As an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, I have a solemn duty to face the Lord and deliver his message,” said President Ballard. “His words often include words of encouragement and expressions of love. They also include words of warning.”
Maybe what Ballard was saying is that he faces the Lord, and not the members of the church. His role is to deliver top down information, never bottom up to the Lord what the members are thinking. This is an old Packer talk.
Elder Lee had agreed to give me counsel and some direction. He didn't say much, nothing really in detail, but what he told me has saved me time and time again. "You must decide now which way you face," he said. "Either you represent the teachers and students and champion their causes or you represent the Brethren who appointed you. You need to decide now which way you face." then he added, "some of your predecessors faced the wrong way." It took some hard and painful lessons before I understood his counsel. In time, I did understand, and my resolve to face the right way became irreversible.
Talk Found here

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Oct 2019, 15:15

Elder Lee had agreed to give me counsel and some direction. He didn't say much, nothing really in detail, but what he told me has saved me time and time again. "You must decide now which way you face," he said. "Either you represent the teachers and students and champion their causes or you represent the Brethren who appointed you. You need to decide now which way you face." then he added, "some of your predecessors faced the wrong way." It took some hard and painful lessons before I understood his counsel. In time, I did understand, and my resolve to face the right way became irreversible.
Thank you for reminding me why I don't want to be an Ordained Woman. There are perks to being off the hook.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Oct 2019, 06:58

mom3 wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 12:43
(And maybe I'm the only one who wonders why calling such a place sacred makes people think we worship Joseph Smith.)
Because we do.

I think if Hyrum and Joseph saw what we have done, they would be mortified. Yes Joseph made some major human gaffes (can you call polygamy a gaffe?) but he took 3 years from the time of the "vision" to even do anything with it. Even then it was kind of small and indirect. He was post-Mo before it was trendy to be so. He wanted to be untethered.
I totally agree. I don't think Joseph had any ideations about being on a pedestal. He went through periods of time where he did very little in the way of governing the church and where he didn't receive, or at least didn't share, revelation for the church. And he was OK with that. When you hear people say the church is run by councils, they're absolutely correct in the way it ran when Joseph was the president - the high councils (Kirtland and Missouri) ran the church and he was not part of that. Come Follow Me is an attempt to return the church to the way things were done in those days when there was no correlation and individuals and families were free to discover truth for themselves rather than it being dictated to them. Finally, before I step off the soapbox, Joseph's focus was Jesus Christ and he knew it was the Church of Christ - let's not forget that.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Oct 2019, 07:10

nibbler wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 08:37
I heard reports that people were asked to pray for "the country" during the devotional.
I do understand the difference in praying for the country and praying for the president. I'm not sure everybody does. There are a couple people in my ward who when asked to pray in a meeting will pray by name for the president and one of them often includes other flowery language associated with him (generally how wonderful he is). So, while I hear and get "pray for the country" I'm not sure that's the same thing everyone else hears.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 22 Oct 2019, 07:20

I think that Joseph would be too preoccupied with trying to set himself up as king of the world to take much notice in what the little leaders at general conference were saying about him. :angel:
To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.
― Mark Twain

dkd22

Post by dkd22 » 22 Oct 2019, 07:35

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Oct 2019, 09:03

Sheldon wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:24
Maybe what Ballard was saying is that he faces the Lord, and not the members of the church. His role is to deliver top down information, never bottom up to the Lord what the members are thinking.
Fascinating insight Sheldon. I would not have thought of that.
I was curious what the danger was that Elder Ballard was warning about. He seams to be talking about this nation at a "crossroads". Could be interpreted several different ways, I suppose. Crossroads just means we have choices ahead. When would that not be the case?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 22 Oct 2019, 09:18

mom3 wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 15:15
Thank you for reminding me why I don't want to be an Ordained Woman. There are perks to being off the hook.
We aren't off the hook.
[Serious and Tongue-in-Cheek Comment] We are supposed to be raising sin-resistant, covenant-path driven children and to fulfill prophecy by using our influence (our light) to inspire other women (and their families) to join our church. Oh, we are also supposed to be managing/running the "Come Follow Me" program in our home (and probably the youth program by extension when it comes out). Also under that umbrella by extension is family scripture study, FHE, and family prayer.

I think that I am batting .25 out of the 4 on that one (my rebellious daughter is a little sin-resistant I think, and I take .25 credit for that).

I guess that my mission is to raise sin-aware and informed children who understand that they are forging their own path by their choices (in part) and to inspire the people around me to be their best selves. I am not managing or running "Come Follow Me" in my home, but I contribute to the youth programs when I can. I am working with my family to develop habits of respect, good communication, and thoughtful living (thinking about what we put in our bodies, how to work to improve in sustaining the environment, and how to make the best choices possible).

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 22 Oct 2019, 09:19

Roy wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:03
I was curious what the danger was that Elder Ballard was warning about. He seams to be talking about this nation at a "crossroads". Could be interpreted several different ways, I suppose. Crossroads just means we have choices ahead. When would that not be the case?
It's likely anxiety and fear over the widening divisions in the US, a fear that people are becoming more polarized rather than more united, and possibly fear over violence stemming from that divide.
To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.
― Mark Twain

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 22 Oct 2019, 09:30

nibbler wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:19
Roy wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 09:03
It's likely anxiety and fear over the widening divisions in the US, a fear that people are becoming more polarized rather than more united, and possibly fear over violence stemming from that divide.
I know I'm a cynic, I mostly interpreted it as veiled "religious freedom" which is itself just veiled anti-gay marriage. I do recognize there are other possibilities though.

My Introduction