Area devotional?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Area devotional?

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Oct 2019, 12:59

It was announced today that there is an "Area Devotional" broadcast next week with Elders Ballard and Christofferson. Saturday night the is a similar YSA broadcast. The general devotional is Sunday afternoon. It will be broadcast to all meeting houses in the stake, all are invited. This is the North America Northeast Area. This is a new one for me, anyone else have anything similar recently?

FWIW, the last few years when they've done the broadcast extra stake conferences I have not cared much for them. This devotional does not take the place of regular Sunday meetings, it's an extra meeting. But, my guess is it will be recorded and impersonal like the broadcast stake conferences.

On the positive side, it's not another opportunity for Oaks to rail against gay marriage.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Re: Area devotional?

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Oct 2019, 15:21

I have. They usually don't come on a regular basis. Our last one was in or around 1984?
We live in the midwest. It was for Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota & Iowa. (& maybe Michigan?)
There was no big announcement. It seemed to be like a mini general regional conference.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Oct 2019, 16:44

We used to have the regional conferences we would go to in a Sunday. Those were live though, with real live GAs. Like I said this is new for us.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Oct 2019, 18:21

You're right. They are probably taking more advantage of the new technology. That way they can do less traveling.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 20 Oct 2019, 18:06

How did it go? Did it turn out to be something more than an opportunity to say "covenant path" a dozen times? :angel:

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Oct 2019, 04:52

Full disclosure, I didn't go. But my wife did and it sounds like it was an opportunity to "praise the man" (Ballard is a descendant of Hyrum for those who don't know). They threw in some early settlers of New England who paved the way because the whole country was founded on the idea of religious freedom (second talking point). And indeed it does appear there was some covenant path (talking point 3) as well - the latter more from Christofferson and his wife. There are several articles about this historic visit to the sacred site of the birth of the prophet (mostly tongue in cheek, although the terminology is used in the articles) on the church news site. https://www.thechurchnews.com/ There doesn't appear to be any reference to the broadcast devotional itself, although they apparently did a live one earlier at the local meeting house.

Edited to add: Apparently Deseret News covered this historic event (but it's not very comprehensive). FWIW, my wife didn't mention the part about prayer. https://www.deseret.com/2019/10/20/2092 ... ll-ballard

My Introduction

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 21 Oct 2019, 07:27

I read the DesNews article this morning and was struck by this line: “As an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, I have a solemn duty to face the Lord and deliver his message,” said President Ballard. “His words often include words of encouragement and expressions of love. They also include words of warning.”

This was a huge question of mine for many years that is kind of a taboo topic. Do the prophets and apostles have interviews with Jesus? I think statements like this are highly suggestive they do without coming out and saying it. One could read the statement above either way. The inference is that there is some kind of special interview or access that he has that others don't. One could also determine that the "words" he is speaking of come from studying the scriptures and gaining insights.

On my mission Elder Holland came to visit and one Elder asked him if he'd seen God. I've never heard such a stern rebuke in my life and it left the poor kid really shaken after. He told the Elder that it was a totally inappropriate question and he'd lost the spirit.

My conclusion after investigating the data is that the apostles and prophets do not have interviews with Jesus. However, I think they occasionally give statements like this that suggest they do. These kinds of things are exciting for people to hear. I go back and forth as to whether this is misleading or if it gives people something to be excited about and is part of the lifeblood of the Church.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Oct 2019, 07:39

felixfabulous wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 07:27
My conclusion after investigating the data is that the apostles and prophets do not have interviews with Jesus. However, I think they occasionally give statements like this that suggest they do. These kinds of things are exciting for people to hear. I go back and forth as to whether this is misleading or if it gives people something to be excited about and is part of the lifeblood of the Church.
This is pretty much where I am at as well. I do not believe the apostles speak to God or receive revelation any differently than you or I (or anyone else) do. "Back in the day" (in what is rapidly becoming a different church) I think it was commonly believed that the prophet, at least, had regular interviews with the Savior in the Holy of Holies. I'm sure at least half, likely more, of the missionaries I served with believed this and that all of the apostles had at least seen Christ. 30+ years down the road I more than doubt it and don't believe any of them have seen Christ. I does bother me a bit that they tend to perpetuate the myth.

Interestingly, I was witness to a very similar incident with exactly the same apostle. It's one of the reasons he tends to be a bit lower on my list of 15 favorites (among the living ones).

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Oct 2019, 07:42

I did speak this morning with a less orthodox friend of mine who did attend the devotional. He basically said he could have found something better to do with that hour of his Sabbath. He also said he would not be praying for Trump any time soon. I guess we could draw a line between praying for the country and praying for Trump (and praying for the country could be to save us from Trump) but I'm not sure what Ballard was asking in that respect because I think part of his appeal was to just pray in general. My SP tends to be pretty on top of things, and I'm often amazed that things he has been saying for a couple years become a thing in GC. I do think that's because our AA is also on top of things and shares with the SPs as he should. That said, I think an emphasis on prayer is about to become the new Sabbath (that was emphasized a couple years back) because our SP has been talking about prayer of late when he hasn't really before.

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 21 Oct 2019, 08:32

felixfabulous wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 07:27
On my mission Elder Holland came to visit and one Elder asked him if he'd seen God. I've never heard such a stern rebuke in my life and it left the poor kid really shaken after. He told the Elder that it was a totally inappropriate question and he'd lost the spirit.
"So... I guess that's a no. Thanks."

I can't imagine the og apostles reacting that way.