Kirby on church authority

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Kirby on church authority

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Sep 2019, 07:56

I feel Robert Kirby hasn't for the most part been quite the writer he was prior to his suspension. But today he hit a home run.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/kirby/20 ... by-church/
I’m not exactly sure when I realized that authority didn’t mean the same thing to me that it did to others. Best guess is probably around the time I started Sunday school.
The boredom I experienced there defied description. Some kids found validation in mindless obedience. I much preferred to go my own way, even if it meant disapproval.
Somewhere in there I discovered that authority had every chance of being deeply flawed, and thus just as capable of being empty-headed as those it presumed to govern.
I couldn’t have articulated it this way as a kid. Instead, I studied the matter by doing whatever I wanted as long as the consequences were somewhat of a fair exchange.
It’s probably just me — and others with the same problem — who doesn’t find much validation in the approval of other people. It’s not wrong that others do, but it doesn’t work the same for me.
We all require some sort of acceptance from our chosen (or assigned) tribes, but you have to ask yourself how far you’re willing to go along to get along. And that says a lot more about you than it does them.
I’ll go along right up to the point where I either get bored or I figure out that I don’t agree, usually arriving at both about the same time. Then I do things my way.
And I accept the fallout for it because, as Mark Twain said, “The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.”
If you are going to the effort of believing in a loving God, what point is there in filtering his or her value of you through the minds of people who just might not have one that works any better than yours?
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Re: Kirby on church authority

Post by LookingHard » 29 Sep 2019, 18:29

He is the best! He should write a book.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Sep 2019, 18:43

:thumbup:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 30 Sep 2019, 11:59

Kirby is helpful at articulating some of the common sense that others aren't saying. He has a way of pointing out the naked emperor.

Tica

Post by Tica » 03 Oct 2019, 22:32

If you are going to the effort of believing in a loving God, what point is there in filtering his or her value of you through the minds of people who just might not have one that works any better than yours?
I love this. And have a problem with doing this to myself all the time :oops:

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 Oct 2019, 05:35

I appreciate the quotes. SLT is unavailable just now so I can't read it.

Personally I think some of the quotes are a bit wordy. I appreciate the sentiment, but could have put it more succinctly.
Some kids found validation in mindless obedience. I much preferred to go my own way, even if it meant disapproval
This is not a uniquely LDS problem!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."