New Youth Program

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: New Youth Program

Post by SamBee » 01 Oct 2019, 06:19

I skipped it. It was of no relevance to me. I comment on this elsewhere.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 01 Oct 2019, 08:57

Curt Sunshine wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 18:51
If this approach had been in place 5 years ago when my youngest daughter (in high school) started YW, she might be attending now. She would have thrived in this model. As it was, she was bored stiff and lost all desire to attend. Right now, as of about two months ago, she is inactive. She has a solid testimony of the Gospel, knows the scriptures well, loves blessings, and is a wonderful, caring, service-oriented, intelligent young woman - but church bored her to tears, literally.
I can certainly relate to your daughter. It took a little longer than my late teens to get to that point, but I can seriously understand where she's coming from.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 01 Oct 2019, 14:32

I don't see a lot of change with this program. Maybe knowing that scouts was on the way out and there was no way there could be a replacement that would be able to compare with it, I just assumed we would get what we've heard were getting. It seems like the natural approach.

I don't see weekly activities changing AT ALL. the kids will still plan, take ownership, and then expect the leaders to have everything ready every tuesday or Wednesday.

I see a yearly high adventure activity being more what the kids want rather than 'we have to spend a week at camp, so there's no time for anything else.' and more work for individual leaders.

I am hoping the new 'program' will have the benefits of families being stronger,.Yet I think of the familes that the home life isn't that great, so a parent who is hoping the church can help their kids stay on the right path might either have more involvement or not.

AmyJ wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 06:17
What am I missing?
I think you got it. There were a lot of people thinking there was going to be a hefty program with check boxes and levels, rewards and accomplishments. Instead it's 'set good goals and your family helps, and the church can have activities that help as well.'
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

Roy

Post by Roy » 03 Oct 2019, 09:05

Last Sunday a new YM presidency was called. They have been told that weekly activities should support the boys in their goals. For example the son of one of the leaders would like to learn about firearms and martial arts. Yesterday, at the Wednesday night meeting, they asked Roy Jr. what his goal was. He responded, "Pizza". The kid really likes Pizza! :lol:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 03 Oct 2019, 09:18

:thumbup:

Sounds like it's already working.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 03 Oct 2019, 09:46

I like that it gets rid of the BSA racket of badges and inflated prices for materials.
It's easier for people to understand than the scouting program.
It is flexible enough for everyone to adapt to personal circumstances.

I see it a lot like FHE, only about 1/3 or less of the families will do it. The church programs will step up to help, but again, they want it to happen in the home.

I think it's positive, but its effectiveness will be like any church initiative -- only a portion of the membership will do it.

I also think they left out a fifth area -- temporal preparedness -- financial management, preparing for college, saving for a mission, learning to budget and get a job and save -- that was left out of it. It is incomplete in that way, I think.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Tica

Post by Tica » 03 Oct 2019, 22:24

I am cautiously hopeful. Simple could be good. I like the idea of fostering our kids' self awareness and individual relationships with God as opposed to focusing on rewards. I will try this with my kids. I am sure, though, that the quality of church youth activities will largely continue to be dependent on the leaders' capability and motivation. And I wish we weren't so insistent on separating the boys and girls.