I hope Sacrament Meetings get better.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
QuestionAbound

Re: I hope Sacrament Meetings get better.

Post by QuestionAbound » 29 Sep 2019, 05:23

Our SM is:
OS
OP
Sacrament Hymn
Sacrament
Speaker 1
Speaker 2
CS
CP

Sometimes the sacrament doesn't take long (small ward). Our speakers overplan b/c sometimes they need to talk and talk and talk.
I miss the days of an intermediate hymn.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Sep 2019, 07:05

QuestionAbound wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 05:23
Our SM is:
OS
OP
Sacrament Hymn
Sacrament
Speaker 1
Speaker 2
CS
CP

Sometimes the sacrament doesn't take long (small ward). Our speakers overplan b/c sometimes they need to talk and talk and talk.
I miss the days of an intermediate hymn.
My ward fairly often has an intermediate hymn or a special music of some sort. Some other wards in the stake are very similar. I am not aware of any here that never have anything. I think there may have been a slight misunderstanding by some people (initially here as well) that the instruction was not that we couldn't have intermediate hymns, we just don't have to have them.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 29 Sep 2019, 19:46

SilentDawning wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 21:06
I want to cut Sacrament meeting back to sacrament hymn and sacrament, then announcements. Go to the one hour meeting after that and you're done.
SD, my response to your statement above was way too harsh & I'm sorry. For some reason, the sacrament meetings in my ward are really getting
on my nerves & I didn't mean to sound like I was taking it out on you. I wish there was an outlet for reporting back to the leadership (ward & stake)
how I feel or to make suggestions for improvements.

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 30 Sep 2019, 11:33

Minyan Man wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 15:35
Rumin, what kinds of achievements would be noted from the pulpit? Just curious.
The obvious ones are mission calls. We also recognize (mainly youth) members for achievements in school (excelling at sports or academics), etc. This does cause some heartburn from some parents whose kids were not recognized. But we tell them we can't recognize kids when we don't hear about the honor. Sometimes we will mention members affected by tragedy or ill health (with their permission). Our SP doesn't like any of this kind of thing. But we want to humanize each other and share in cool accomplishments and share in the lifting of burdens when the news is less good. To me this is what the church community should be all about. Just reading about it in the RE or EQ newsletter isn't good enough, and loses potency imo.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Oct 2019, 05:51

Katzpur wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 17:31
DarkJedi wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 09:42
I like your 15 minute speaker and the rest for music MM. I've long thought sacrament meeting should be more like Music and the Spoken Word.
Absolutely!
I think with talks, it depends who is giving them. When I first started coming back, we had a lot of talks along the lines of "I got asked to speak on ... by Elder ..." in which basically an entire conference talk was parroted back. Now at least we have a variety of speakers.

On the downside, the counselor who chooses the hymns has very different musical taste to me. Some LDS hymn I love are never sung, and some of the ones I hate get sung regularly.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 09 Oct 2019, 11:30

SamBee wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 05:51
On the downside, the counselor who chooses the hymns has very different musical taste to me. Some LDS hymn I love are never sung, and some of the ones I hate get sung regularly.
As a BP, we just discussed pulling our music director aside with instructions to "keep it to the hits" with hymn selection. :lol:
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Oct 2019, 04:33

Rumin8 wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 11:30
SamBee wrote:
As a BP, we just discussed pulling our music director aside with instructions to "keep it to the hits" with hymn selection. :lol:
He's a great guy, but honestly we sing "Nearer my God to thee" at least once a month, and I always associate that hymn with the poor folk going down with the Titanic.

One of ones that I like - "The Morning Breaks" - never gets sung in our ward at all.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Oct 2019, 05:05

SamBee wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 04:33
Rumin8 wrote:
SamBee wrote:
He's a great guy, but honestly we sing "Nearer my God to thee" at least once a month, and I always associate that hymn with the poor folk going down with the Titanic.

One of ones that I like - "The Morning Breaks" - never gets sung in our ward at all.
I didn't know we were in the same ward! :lol: Seriously, our bishop loves "Nearer My God To Thee" and used to choose it all the time as the priesthood hymn and just like you I always think of the Titanic when I hear that song. Until we recently got a new music leader we also sang "In Humility Our Savior" at least once a month and I don't hate that song but I do strongly dislike one line and it gets old (I stopped singing it). And there are indeed others I like that we never sing, even well known ones. I think the latter is at least in part because the skill of one of our two pianists is limited (although she doesn't think so).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 10 Oct 2019, 06:47

The Romantic version of the story is that the band played that hymn as the ship went down. Personally I believe the truth would have been much more horrific.

And yes, Dark Jedi, we do sing "In Humility..." a lot too!

There are some "hits" we never sing. We have sung "Hie to Kolob" only once or twice in ten years (horrible lyrics, great tune), "Adam Ondi Ahman" never, and "The Morning Breaks" never. "The Morning Breaks" has a great Wilberg arrangement on Youtube. I like it because there is a kind of optimism to it.

Heavy_Laden

Post by Heavy_Laden » 10 Oct 2019, 08:15

SamBee wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 04:33
Rumin8 wrote:
SamBee wrote:

I'm looking forward to the Sunday after New Years.. I'll be disappointed if we don't sing "Ring Out, Wild Bells" .. Love that one! I'll even risk having to sit through F&T meeting in order to sing it.
I'm an Independent Mormon and it's okay.