Birthday Celebration

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
felixfabulous

Birthday Celebration

Post by felixfabulous » 10 Sep 2019, 08:13

I had a really hard time with the birthday gala for President Nelson that took place on Friday. While I don't always agree with him, I think he's done some great things and is an amazing man. He's made a lot of good changes and I think that his desire to keep learning and doing new things is admirable and deserving of celebration. On the other hand, it all seemed a bit idoliarous and the leader worship that I think is really problematic. I would have hoped for a response from him of appreciation for people wanting to celebrate for him but to use the money and energy for something more service oriented. I understand that it may not have been his idea or something he wanted, but it was hard not to see it as stroking a big ego. I like the Buddhist metaphor of the prophet being the finger pointing at the moon, let's focus on the moon, not the finger.

Roy

Re: Birthday Celebration

Post by Roy » 10 Sep 2019, 08:45

This bothered me too. should we celebrate the birthdays of the apostles or other general authorities? How about the bishop? Should we have an annual ward potluck to celebrate the bishop's birthday? (And this is coming from a guy that loves a good potluck!)

It bothers me even more that I have LDS friends on Facebook that share this. My non-LDS friends do not share messages about the passing birthday of their religious leaders. It just seems creepy and cultish to me.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

REBEL2

Post by REBEL2 » 10 Sep 2019, 09:11

I have to admit I found it really creepy doing leader worship !!! Really , no one celebrated my birthday !!!

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Sep 2019, 09:15

Count me in as one it bothers. I purposely avoided the whole thing because I think it's just plain wrong, especially the money spent. The part that really bothers me most is the prophet worship, though. I can't recall the last birthday party for the pope. I honestly hope I'm as healthy and with it if I make it to his age. I don't dislike the guy and I love the changes, this was just too much IMO.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dkd22

Post by dkd22 » 10 Sep 2019, 12:34

I agree. He has made some great changes and I believe he is inspired but the party was too much. I watched a couple of the clips from it on YouTube and it does seem like we are idolizing him. He seems to enjoy the spotlight. He also has a camera follow him around a lot. From his ministering trips overseas to visiting the California fire.
Where did the money come from? I can't imagine how much it must cost to host something like that at the conference center. The money could have been spent in better ways.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Sep 2019, 16:16

I didn't watch it. I have no interest whatsoever.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 10 Sep 2019, 19:37

After you check out of the lDS experience emotionally (I still attend though), things like this don't seem to matter too much. I guess I'm indifferent.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 10 Sep 2019, 20:36

It's kind of funny, but when President Hinckley turned 95, they had a similar celebration for him. I attended and saw nothing wrong with it. This was in 2005. I'm not sure why, but it really bugged me that we did the same thing for President Nelson. I guess I'm just getting old and cynical, because I now see the whole thing as hero-worship whereas I didn't at all 14 years ago.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 11 Sep 2019, 06:47

Katzpur, you raise a good point. Now that you mention it, I remember the celebration for President Hinckley and I had similar feelings then. I'm not sure if it's that I don't jive as much with President Nelson's personality or if since my faith has changed, I'm much more aware of the problem of leader worship in the Church.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 11 Sep 2019, 07:33

I really don't care one way or the other. If I were in his place, I would want something quiet & low key.
We live in the midwest with a low LDS population. There isn't as big of a focus on the leadership of the church or
doesn't seem to be.

I have to ask: what would Jesus do?