Abuse Prevention Training Required to Work with Youth

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Abuse Prevention Training Required to Work with Youth

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Aug 2019, 14:38

Minyan Man wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 12:08
In this training, do they talk about when law enforcement is contacted? And who makes the contact?
They do barely make the point that if you become aware of abuse you should report it. As noted in Nibbler's post and my response, the policy seems to be different for leaders (but shouldn't be IMO). They focus much more on the two-deep adult part.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 20 Aug 2019, 15:18

Something is better than nothing I guess.
I have been very aware of it over the past few days before we even posted it here. For me this isn't a "something" issue. This is where "Good, Better, Best" should apply. For the safety of both parties.

I was slow to respond in real life because I had a lot of other stuff going on, as the days roll by, I count my lucky stars that I don't have any kids who need interviews anymore.

I believe as a church we have a pretty safe reputation, but obviously not safe enough, because we did institute 2 deep adult's in our youth and primary programs. I know personally of a family whose child was inappropriately touched by someone in leadership. The family and child suffered more than the "toucher".

If the church really does want to keep a spotless or cleaner record, then man up, do background checks for all ward members. Assign callings accordingly and never have anyone interviewed one on one. Let repentance be between Jesus and the person. Let legal abuse issues be handled by the law of the land.

The Supreme Court Justice who is in our 1st Presidency knows better. Let's lead. Not cover.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Aug 2019, 16:20

I am aware fully that this isn't the end result I desire, but I also applaud what has been done - primarily for a couple of reasons:

1) The counsel clearly says members should report abuse to the proper non-church authorities. To me, that simple statement is huge - and needed badly. There used to be an "out" for members not to report abuse; there is no such excuse now.

I personally believe people in positions that require strong trust in confidentiality still should report abuse when they learn of it, but I also understand the idea that people won't confess past actions if they know they will be reported to legal authorities - that automatically reporting such things buries the actions further into obscurity and decreases the likelihood of learning about them and helping the perpetrator. I also understand there are legal and ecclesiastical complications in those situations, particularly when a leader only suspects abuse but has no proof (and when reporting laws can vary quite radically from state to state), so I understand having local leaders contact legal experts when they suspect abuse - particularly since those local leaders nearly always are NOT experts in this area. Ideally, would I like mandating reporting? Yes. However, I do understand not requiring it in all cases of suspicion, particularly.

2) As presented, there is a strong case to be made that two-deep interaction with an individual is appropriate in all cases - so I am cautiously optimistic that interviews will fall into that category immediately or soon. I know my most recent Bishop already was having another female present (outside a non-closed door) whenever he interviewed a female youth or adult. I think this announcement might be a prelude to that becoming the default in the near future. Also, requiring two-deep participation in deeply personal, confidential situations isn't required in most if not all professional fields, so I am hesitant to push for it when confession is part of the potential outcome.

Finally, I agree requiring background checks would be a solid way to address much potential abuse, but, in practice, that would mean doing such checks on nearly all active adult members - on a regular basis (at least every 2-3 years for younger adults and every 5-10 years for older adults). To be solid, it couldn't be just a one-time check. (Given my professional focus areas, I have been fingerprinted and background checked 7 times in the last 6 years - and I have worked directly with young children only 2 of those years.) The practical burden that would place on the Church would be enormous.

On a Good, Better, Best scale, I would rate this at least Good and absolutely Better than the past. Frankly, I think Best is impossible - particularly given the core reliance on extensive volunteer effort to staff the instruction within the Church. Thus, I hope for a stronger Better - but I do see it as Good-Better now.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Havefaith

Post by Havefaith » 20 Aug 2019, 17:45

Wouldnt it be great if all people could and would get the help they need so abuse never happened

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 20 Aug 2019, 20:06

Curt Sunshine wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 16:20
I am aware fully that this isn't the end result I desire, but I also applaud what has been done - primarily for a couple of reasons:

1) The counsel clearly says members should report abuse to the proper non-church authorities. To me, that simple statement is huge - and needed badly. There used to be an "out" for members not to report abuse; there is no such excuse now.
I hope that this is communicated to the general membership. This is the first time I've heard it. I can imagine that there are some leaders
that would prefer that they were the first contact & they made the decision to contact non-church authorities (or not).

Thanks Curt for the clarification.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Aug 2019, 06:42

Minyan Man wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 20:06
Curt Sunshine wrote:

I hope that this is communicated to the general membership. This is the first time I've heard it. I can imagine that there are some leaders
that would prefer that they were the first contact & they made the decision to contact non-church authorities (or not).

Thanks Curt for the clarification.
Almost every calling is on the list of people who need to take the training and who does complete the training is tracked (bishops/SPs are supposed to ensure everyone on the list gets it). It is very new (late last week) so I'm sure word hasn't totally gotten out yet but the deadline for completing the training in Sept. 22 - so units shouldn't be dragging their feet.

The list of people who need to take the training:
Stake presidencies
Bishoprics/branch presidencies
High councilors
Presidencies in stake and ward/branch Primary, YM, YW, SS, RS, EQ
All secretaries, teachers, advisors, camp leaders, activity day leaders, seminary teachers, music leaders, pianists and anyone else who serves in any capacity in Primary, YM, YW, and youth SS. Newly called people are to complete the training within a month.

I agree that there are likely some leaders who would prefer to not have members reporting abuse on their neighbors. Laws vary by state. In my state it is actually illegal for someone not to report child or elder abuse (sexual/physical) that they are aware of and all medical and education personnel are mandated reporters (meaning we lose our license if we fail to report). In my state even the suspicion of abuse is reportable (especially by mandated reporters).

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Aug 2019, 06:56

Curt Sunshine wrote:
The counsel clearly says members should report abuse to the proper non-church authorities. To me, that simple statement is huge - and needed badly. There used to be an "out" for members not to report abuse; there is no such excuse now.
I agree, this is huge and is a long needed clarification/instruction. I just wish they hammered it as much as they did two deep leadership (although I do think two deep leadership needed to be hammered based on observations in my own ward and stake). One slide said to report abuse to authorities. Several addressed two-deep leadership. In my state training reporting is hammered as well as not being in alone situations.

My Introduction

dkd22

Post by dkd22 » 21 Aug 2019, 07:27

Hey everyone, this is my first post but I have been lurking for a few weeks now.

On Sunday before the sacrament the Bishop announced the new training over the pulpit. He said that he wants ever ward member to take the training even if they are not in a calling that works with the youth. I thought that was great that he did that and I think all members should take this training.

My wife was sexually abused when she was 7 and it was never properly reported to the authorities. This is one reason that she has left the Church and sent me into a FC.

I see this training as a step in the right direction but the Church is still lacking in some areas around abuse.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Aug 2019, 07:55

dkd22 wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 07:27
Hey everyone, this is my first post but I have been lurking for a few weeks now.

On Sunday before the sacrament the Bishop announced the new training over the pulpit. He said that he wants ever ward member to take the training even if they are not in a calling that works with the youth. I thought that was great that he did that and I think all members should take this training.

My wife was sexually abused when she was 7 and it was never properly reported to the authorities. This is one reason that she has left the Church and sent me into a FC.

I see this training as a step in the right direction but the Church is still lacking in some areas around abuse.
I think were I bishop I might do the same. I agree, there's no reason everybody shouldn't/couldn't spend the 15-30 minutes. Almost everybody is on the list anyway, and if you aren't you likely will be in the next 1-3 years (unless you're inactive, refusing callings or are under church discipline).

That brings up a question that I didn't think to ask in stake council last night. Not everyone has a church account. And not everyone in my ward even has access to the internet at home or in some cases are totally tech illiterate, technophobic, or choose to be disconnected. I wonder how they will be accommodated and how they will be tracked? (If you don't know, when you click to begin training you have to sign in with your church account and that's how compliance tracked.)

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 21 Aug 2019, 08:08

I suspect that will be handled in one of two ways:

1) I'd be surprised if this training isn't given on a 5th Sunday. There's one coming up in September. It's low hanging fruit for a BP struggling with a topic to cover.

2) With the 2 hour block the people that aren't teaching that Sunday can take the training during the 2nd hour.