This is a dumb question. I'm going to ask it anyway.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

This is a dumb question. I'm going to ask it anyway.

Post by Minyan Man » 09 Aug 2019, 20:48

In the olden days, 1970 - 1985, when someone in the ward died, the Relief Society would go the Undertaker & dress the body
with the temple robes, etc. Does that still happen today? Just curious.

Daughter1

Re: This is a dumb question. I'm going to ask it anyway.

Post by Daughter1 » 09 Aug 2019, 21:54

I don't know the exact process, but yes. The RS is in charge of dressing women for burial, the EQ is in charge of dressing men. Unless an endowed family member wants to perform the service. I was in the presidency but never was asked to assist, although we had a few sisters pass away while I was in the calling.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Aug 2019, 04:28

It does still happen. It is not necessarily the job of the RS, but they can help if needed. A couple years ago a neighbor's brother-in-law died and my neighbor asked me to help him dress his relative in temple clothes. He was more affected by it than he expected to be and in retrospect it would have been better if it were me and someone else (or someone else altogether). A quick look at Handbook 2 reveals the bishop may ask the EQ or RS to help as appropriate.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Aug 2019, 09:47

Also, Sisters buried in their temple robes may have their faces veiled or not as was their stated preference while living. I think the folk doctrine was that the husband would come and remove the veil when he resurrects them. Now the veil is optional and you can probably believe whatever you want about the resurrection.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Aug 2019, 20:30

I'm sure that in a lot of well established church families, there are several male members who have done this task for many male
members of the family. I'm the only member of the church on both side of my family. I'm not sure that I want people from my ward
preparing my body for burial. Can non-members prepare your body for burial? Undertaker or inactive family members?

I can change my clothes at the gym and not be self conscience. I have a female Doctor. No problems.
Having my body prepared by members of my ward is a different issue all together.
I'm self conscious just asking the question. (I know, I will be dead. Doesn't matter.)

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Aug 2019, 06:11

Minyan Man wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 20:30
I'm sure that in a lot of well established church families, there are several male members who have done this task for many male
members of the family. I'm the only member of the church on both side of my family. I'm not sure that I want people from my ward
preparing my body for burial. Can non-members prepare your body for burial? Undertaker or inactive family members?

I can change my clothes at the gym and not be self conscience. I have a female Doctor. No problems.
Having my body prepared by members of my ward is a different issue all together.
I'm self conscious just asking the question. (I know, I will be dead. Doesn't matter.)
I'm pretty sure that's not allowed partly because non-members wouldn't know how to properly put on the robes/regalia. I suppose if the undertaker were an endowed member (rare in these parts) it would be OK. I would rather have someone like the EQP dress me than my family, quite frankly. In my earlier referenced experience, it affected the family member way more than any of us expected when we dressed his relative, and it wasn't even a blood relative.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Aug 2019, 07:47

It's interesting that in a church where we teach modesty, in death we give people to have one last opportunity of a "peek".
I know that's a bit silly. I'm sure that's the last thing on the mind of my EQP. Besides, mine is a Doctor too.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 13 Aug 2019, 15:19

This has been an interesting topic to me. I've never considered RS or EQ groups being responsible for dressing a deceased member. Seems like a lot to ask! When my wife's mother passed, my wife and her sisters dressed her. However, it was such a negative experience for her, that she said she regretted being involved, and will never do it again. I can see how this would be a job that a lot of people would want to avoid. Not only would I not want ward members handling my body, I would also not want to handle a deceased members body (ward member, family member, or otherwise). Personally, I don't want a typically LDS funeral, which is one of many reasons that I've requested cremation. Just out of curiosity, are most people here planning to be buried in temple clothes?
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 13 Aug 2019, 17:52

Holy Cow wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 15:19
... Just out of curiosity, are most people here planning to be buried in temple clothes?
I really haven't decided yet. That's one of the reasons I wanted a discussion on this topic. I'm not sure if I want the funeral at church.
My wife's cousin was a funeral director in SLC. He did a number of funeral services for the GA's. He had a good personality for the job.
Very easy to talk to & very compassionate.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 13 Aug 2019, 18:03

Holy Cow wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 15:19
Personally, I don't want a typically LDS funeral, which is one of many reasons that I've requested cremation. Just out of curiosity, are most people here planning to be buried in temple clothes?
Just so you know... I've been to a few funerals for people that opted to be cremated. They had a viewing before the funeral service and the deceased was dressed in temple robes. They were cremated after the funeral was over. I think the SOP is to cremate members in their temple robes.

Plan accordingly. Make your wishes known.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau