End of Duty to God, Personal Progress, Faith In God

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Holy Cow

End of Duty to God, Personal Progress, Faith In God

Post by Holy Cow » 16 Jul 2019, 13:53

It sounds like, in addition to the church disassociating with scouting, they will also be ending the Faith in God, Personal Progress, and Duty to God programs at the end of the year. Neither of my kids have really been involved in any of these programs (other than scouting), so I'm not really familiar with how drastic this will change anything. Is this a fairly significant change for YM/YW and primary children?
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

Minyan Man

Re: End of Duty to God, Personal Progress, Faith In God

Post by Minyan Man » 16 Jul 2019, 17:31

Does this mean the Eagle Scouts program is over too?

mom3

Post by mom3 » 16 Jul 2019, 20:13

This is huge.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 16 Jul 2019, 20:39

Minyan Man wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 17:31
Does this mean the Eagle Scouts program is over too?
Yup. No more Eagle Scouts. Our ward has had a slew of boys (including my son) finishing their Eagle scout projects this summer, so they can get it before school starts back up.
I have mixed feelings about the church parting ways with scouting. On one hand, I believe the BSA is a total racket and over charged for almost everything. On the other hand, I think it's a good program that teaches young men a lot of great lessons, especially when it's implemented right with good leaders. Also, I like that the Eagle Scout award is widely known. Whatever the church replaces scouting with will be completely unknown outside of the church and won't mean anything to non-LDS folks. I encouraged my son to get his Eagle scout award, but I wouldn't push him to complete an LDS-focused program. I guess this is why I'm also not as familiar with these other programs and how much importance they play in a typical TBM household.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 17 Jul 2019, 05:10

I am still looking for more information on what the programs will look like once they end the current ones.

My gut instinct is not to get too excited because it sounds like starting Jan 1, 2020 there will be a different youth program encompassing each of the different programs.

Am I missing something?

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 17 Jul 2019, 08:32

In light of the things that are being eliminated with no guidance from the church for activities that will replace
them, I have to ask: what is the "take away"? What is your interpretation or inspiration about what you & your family will
do next? It could be:
- be more committed to academics?
- be more active in community activities?
- be more active in athletics?
- maybe nothing will change.

It almost seems like the church is saying: don't look for this organization to occupy your time. or, give you additional inspiration.
I'm grasping at straws here, trying to make sense of it all with no explanations coming from HQ.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Jul 2019, 08:55

The rumor mill is that changes will be discussed during October general conference. Barring that I'm sure there will be instruction ahead of the changes.

Here are a few links with the limited information that is known:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/04 ... aints-are/
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/07 ... get-first/

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Jul 2019, 09:55

I worry that the flexibility of the program will easily lead to a rubber stamp process. The leaders do whatever is easiest. The youth come to lessons and activities without any curriculum, benchmarks, or real ways to measure growth and achievement. My daughter left her first "New beginnings" class disappointed a few years ago. Two YW spoke on what project they did to earn the Young Women medallion. One painted her room. The other reorganized the contents of the refrigerator. My daughter felt that if that is the culmination of her YW mutual experience than is it worth her time?

I suppose it makes a difference what you are trying to accomplish with the program. If you are more interested in building comraderie and testimonies then I suppose you can have that and feel successful even if whatever achievements given out are akin to a rubber stamp.
Holy Cow wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 20:39
Also, I like that the Eagle Scout award is widely known. Whatever the church replaces scouting with will be completely unknown outside of the church and won't mean anything to non-LDS folks. I encouraged my son to get his Eagle scout award, but I wouldn't push him to complete an LDS-focused program.
I also have enjoyed that the Boy Scouts is known and respected outside of the church. I have used my work as Bear Den Leader for the citizenship leg of my employer's success plan
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 17 Jul 2019, 14:39

I never really liked the achievement-focused approach in young mens, so I never even bothered with Duty to God. It just seemed like a checklist to get done and get an award. Scouting on the other hand was fun because a lot of our activities were focused on having a good time, and the achievements weren't the only goal. I hope they take a more activity-focused approach to learning for the new program and don't use it as just another opportunity for indoctrination and checking boxes.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Jul 2019, 16:40

The BSA is currently involved in sex abuse lawsuits which may bankrupt it and also promotion of LGBT and mixed gender troops, neither of which probably goes down well with the LDS.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."