Church considering lowering age for youth interviews to 8

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
AmyJ

Re: Church considering lowering age for youth interviews to 8

Post by AmyJ » 15 Jul 2019, 06:37

<crosses fingers>
I don't want my 9.75 year old in interviews for the next few years. It's already enough that I will have to deal with her going on temple trips at 11.

When it gets to me to set up for our family, I will tell them the only way it will happen is if the leader comes over to our house for a family visit, and my husband or myself stays with our daughter and the other one takes the youngest out while the conversation transitions to whatever needs to be discussed.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Jul 2019, 06:51

nibbler wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 04:57
If they were to implement some policy to interview youth ages 8 to 11 at regular intervals I'd like to think that the interviews wouldn't be very formal and wouldn't be in a similar format to a TR interview. It would probably be something like:
  • How are you doing?
  • Are you happy?
  • Do you have any questions about church?
  • Are you praying?
  • Is there anything we can do for you?
The end.

That said, leadership roulette is very real and I can easily imagine scenarios where a gung-ho orthodox leader wants to ensure that a child is on the correct path and ends up doing harm.
This is about right. Apart from the creepy sex questions, the intricacies of Mormon belief are too complex for smaller kids.

Anyway, I don't believe most children under 11 have much inkling of sex. But even then that's young.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 15 Jul 2019, 07:14

AmyJ wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 06:37
...the only way it will happen is if the leader comes over to our house for a family visit, and my husband or myself stays with our daughter and the other one takes the youngest out while the conversation transitions to whatever needs to be discussed.
I like that idea. That way the Bishop, SP or other leaders have the opportunity to see the family as a whole unit, the parents have the opportunity to see how the leadership operates & conducts an interview and after the whole family has the opportunity to talk about what was said, ask & answer questions and talk about what's appropriate to talk about in an interview and what should be said if it goes "out of bounds".

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 15 Jul 2019, 10:58

Minyan Man wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 07:14
AmyJ wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 06:37
...the only way it will happen is if the leader comes over to our house for a family visit, and my husband or myself stays with our daughter and the other one takes the youngest out while the conversation transitions to whatever needs to be discussed.
I like that idea. That way the Bishop, SP or other leaders have the opportunity to see the family as a whole unit, the parents have the opportunity to see how the leadership operates & conducts an interview and after the whole family has the opportunity to talk about what was said, ask & answer questions and talk about what's appropriate to talk about in an interview and what should be said if it goes "out of bounds".
Thanks.

This is the only way I can see that everyone gets something resembling what they want.

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 15 Jul 2019, 12:05

When I was young I never went to interviews. I do remember when I was baptized I spoke to the bishop and my father was in the room. Then when I went on a mission there was some arm twisting to get me to go. But in general I never spoke to a bishop about worthiness.

My children on the other hand experienced the regular shaming session.

I can say now I was never hurt by lack of interviews but my children were harmed by them.

I wish I would have had sense to tell the bishop hands off my kids, tell them to come to me if they tell you they have issues.

It gripes me now how the church sets up a system where the bishops declarations on worthiness trump a parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Jul 2019, 14:04

nibbler wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 13:38
I think it's saying that if a youth ever has a problem they will feel comfortable with taking it to an ecclesiastical leader. It makes more sense in the context of a parent/child relationship than it does in a neighbor with a temporary mantle/child relationship.
Yeah, it was weird as the statement was phrased. If a my kids are needing to "establish a trusting relationship with a priesthood holder" then that priesthood holder should be me.

In trying to keep an open mind and figure out what the church leadership could possibly intend by this. I wonder if they are thinking of setting habits early. If the children are already accustomed to regular visits with the bishop long before they have anything really "major" to repent from then maybe the bishops office will seem less daunting, punitive, and authoritarian.

I have shared before how my own 13 year old daughter (who is YW class president) has declined to be interviewed by the bishop. She has elected not to go on temple trips rather than submit to this. Ultimately, my wife convinced her to go with DW present. DD has nothing to repent from - she just doesn't want to be interigated about her beliefs and behaviors. I wonder if the church is contemplating to start kids out at younger ages to make the youth interviews less intimidating as they age ... to take the edge off.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mom3

Post by mom3 » 15 Jul 2019, 15:25

I wonder if the church is contemplating to start kids out at younger ages to make the youth interviews less intimidating as they age ... to take the edge off.
The kid in me would have been scared even more. Too much stress.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Jul 2019, 17:05

mom3 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:25
I wonder if the church is contemplating to start kids out at younger ages to make the youth interviews less intimidating as they age ... to take the edge off.
The kid in me would have been scared even more. Too much stress.
Me too. I got scared talking to the guidance counselor, who incidentally was supposed to be building a relationship of trust. I never trusted her nor her pervert colleague.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Jul 2019, 07:26

Why have they introduced this at the back of a campaign to get rid of interviews for older children? Is it the church being contrary again?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 22 Jul 2019, 12:24

This would be a terrible, terrible idea.

As with other things, let's keep this in the home. That's where it belongs. Not with a random, untrained, but generally well-intentioned male neighbor.

I never once have shared a worthiness issue with a member of our clergy. I have done a disservice to my children by allowing them to participate in such things. I have allowed my children to be governed by guilt and shame. My heart hurts that I may be too late. I'm going to discuss this with my wife and see if we can get on the same page, so that this practice will stop. At least within my family.

My bishop is a good man. He wears the mantel of bishop well with grace, humility, and the desire to do good. That said, I do not want him conducting worthiness interviews with my children.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted