Just a couple of thoughts...

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Minyan Man

Just a couple of thoughts...

Post by Minyan Man » 10 Jun 2019, 17:33

One of my favorite shows on PBS is the series: Finding your Roots. Today they had (3) people who are in the entertainment industry. They talked about their family history & family traits that seem to have been passed along through multiple generations. As I was watching the show, I was wondering if there are similar traits that we have that is common to why we struggle with and contribute to a crisis of faith. Here are (2) of the quotes that jumped out:
- Chloe Sevegny (actress): has a family belief that was described & quoted as:
Be yourself above all else

- Michael Moore (film maker) told the story of going to Catholic Seminary in High School for one year. At the end of the year he decided that the PH was not for him & he talked to the administration about quitting & going back to regular high school.
The administration said that they were in the process of asking him not to come back. The reason they gave was:
You ask too many questions

This made me think:
1. The church seems to have the requirement that asks the membership to conform. Conform to doctrine, beliefs, dress, etc.
2. Don't ask a lot of questions. If you do, you run the risk of exclusion. Not being accepted, validated & excluded from callings.

On this forum, we seem to be a group who have the qualities of:
- Being ourselves above all else.
- We have a tendency to question authority, teachings and doctrine.
- When we can't or won't conform, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in or remaining silent.

Is this valid? Or, too simplified? Just curious.

nibbler

Re: Just a couple of thoughts...

Post by nibbler » 10 Jun 2019, 19:59

Minyan Man wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 17:33
1. The church seems to have the requirement that asks the membership to conform. Conform to doctrine, beliefs, dress, etc.
2. Don't ask a lot of questions. If you do, you run the risk of exclusion. Not being accepted, validated & excluded from callings.
What's interesting to me is these things coexists with the genuine belief that the church is for everyone. There's the idea that every person on earth needs and should be a part of the church, but we also don't make many concessions to accommodate all types of people.

We visit the inactive because we know with a surety that they need to be at church but we simultaneously enforce a culture that many find inhospitable.
Minyan Man wrote:
- Being ourselves above all else.
- We have a tendency to question authority, teachings and doctrine.
- When we can't or won't conform, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in or remaining silent.
Chicken and the egg? Do people end up having a faith crisis because they are naturally inquisitive and have a strong sense of self or do those traits start to come to the forefront because of the faith crisis? I think the answer to that question is, "yes."

We all question authority, teachings, and doctrines, even orthodox members... but we tend to question other group's authority, teachings and doctrines. Maybe the turning point is when we start to question our own group with the same degree of skepticism that we usually reserve for external groups.

The same could be said about our identities. We conform to the groups we identify with. An orthodox member could say that they are being themselves because they identify with orthodox Mormonism, it's what they want and have chosen. But what happens when we feel like a stranger in a strange land? Take an orthodox member and put them in a group of Jehovah's Witnesses each and every Sunday and they will likely remain quiet and feel out of place. Another interesting question would be, why would an orthodox Mormon feel compelled to voluntarily remain in a group where they feel that they do not belong?
It is the end of the world. Surely you could be allowed a few carnal thoughts.
― Connie Willis

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 10 Jun 2019, 20:05

Minyan Man wrote:
1) - Being ourselves above all else.
2) - We have a tendency to question authority, teachings and doctrine.
3) - When we can't or won't conform, we may find ourselves on the outside looking in or remaining silent.

Is this valid? Or, too simplified? Just curious.
1) Being myself online - check -- at church -- not.
2) check, if online
e) check.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

asher

Post by asher » 10 Jun 2019, 22:16

Minyan Man wrote:

The restoration began because of a question, majority of the D&C was received as answers to specific questions. so it odd that even though the restoration is ongoing, specific questioning about doctrine/policies procedures are not sought after with vigor. I do understand that there has to be some conformity and regulation or chaos ensues.

More so then most as a people because of our roots, we should welcome and encourage probing questions and not shy away from difficult questions/answers. This may spur more restoration and revelation not less....how to make this happen in a gentle yet progressive way is the key to excellent discussion/teachers. I wonder if our classes were structured more like the self reliance classes if that would lead to more openness and authenticity?

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 11 Jun 2019, 11:07

The reason questions are uncomfortable is because there are no answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson