New Video Format of Temple Endowment

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
jamison

New Video Format of Temple Endowment

Post by jamison » 07 Jun 2019, 14:52

I was very shocked. I had not gone to a temple endowment since sometime last year. I went this morning and the freeze-framed format reminiscent of the film projectors fro the 1970s bugged me. I also was shocked at some other changes. The good news is the endowment is faster now. So do not fall asleep during it. So, I guess to have efficiency you get rid of moving pictures and use stills. I just had a hard time taking it seriously since as young men we made fun of the old film projectors that you had to turn at the "beep" sound. Is is just me or did others find this disturbing? I get it that the endowment is for instruction, so therefore the entertainment should be lessened, but once you have the entertainment of a moving picture medium and then it is changed to a slideshow style presentation, you are feeling robbed of the entertainment value. "Just saying." It felt like a step backward technologically and artistically speaking. I also do not like the new age type music that does not go anywhere. I like music with crescendo and decrescendo, and more feeling. The music was just blah. I found myself missing Michael Ballam, and even the other guy that portrays Peter in the Lamb of God, or For This End I was Born.
"Ignorance, fear, and conflict are the basic elements of everyday consciousness" Marvin Harris -- Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches.

nibbler

Re: New Video Format of Temple Endowment

Post by nibbler » 07 Jun 2019, 15:01

They made changes about 6 months ago. Here's a thread that has some discussion on it:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9296

My personal theory is that the slideshow is only temporary, that leaders wanted changes to happen immediately without waiting for a new movie production to be complete before they implemented the changes. If that's the case I suspect that they're creating a new film (or films) now and that they will replace the slideshow when they're ready.
Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
― Jesus

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Jun 2019, 16:27

I'm not a fan personally. I believe part of the motivation is that this format will work better with presentations in multiple languages, whose dialog will vary greatly in length.

A shame really, because the film is the only part of the endowment, I enjoy rather than endure to the end. I used to enjoy looking at the beautiful landscapes and wildlife footage.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Jun 2019, 18:07

I can accept the lower visual quality in exchange for the changes they made to the wording and the length. If they make a new movie, great. If not, the positive changes are the most important thing to me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

BJE

Post by BJE » 07 Jun 2019, 19:58

I would hope that at some point they will re film the people portion so as to have live action, by I quite like the other still shots. Many of which have action within them. I suspect the only way they could change the dialog and shorten the pauses between phrases without re filming was to do still shots. I generally close my eyes and just listen because it bothers me to not see movement. However I much appreciate the shorter length overall. My bladder can only wait so long.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 07 Jun 2019, 20:07

Curt Sunshine wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 18:07
I can accept the lower visual quality in exchange for the changes they made to the wording and the length. If they make a new movie, great. If not, the positive changes are the most important thing to me.
Anything to get us through it faster is good in my view. The repetition used to drive me crazy, and I stopped going partly due to always being nudged to wake up. I hate being in places where everyone is watching me, ready to pounce as soon as I make a mistake. Same reason I didn't want to be a veil worker any longer.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

BJE

Post by BJE » 07 Jun 2019, 20:29

What bothers me most with endowment sessions is that I get claustrophobic knowing I can’t come and go as I please. I feel trapped and get nervous. I don’t feel peace and relaxation, instead I feel anxiety. My wife feels the same as me.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Jun 2019, 20:42

I understand it's very temporary. Nelson pulled the change plug faster from out of nowhere. He's done this twice now. He did it the new adult Sunday School program, too. The created a 50 week manual. Having no hint that 2 hour church was about to be unleashed. From what I've heard lots of areas are scrambling to finish or reconstruct after the blizzard of changes.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 09 Jun 2019, 06:19

I don’t go to the temple anymore. Sort of a protest thing. But I can not imagine it is any worse than the live sessions. I went to the live sessions in the Manti temple many times. That was somewhat tedious. I enjoyed the films much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Jun 2019, 14:49

I love that the sexist elements have been significantly removed from the endowment. That is as close as it gets to changing doctrine. I would be willing to sit through a number of tedious meetings to help bring about that change.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13