New LDS hymnbook

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
BJE

Re: New LDS hymnbook

Post by BJE » 30 May 2019, 20:33

I answered the hymn book survey.

Three songs that I suggested be taken out are song I really like but I don’t believe they are appropriate for the hymn book. One is Called to Serve. To me it sounds like an irreverent rally song more appropriate for the MTC than for sacrament meeting. Two others are We Ever Pray For Thee (Our Prophet Dear), and Praise To The Man. Both are singing praises to the prophet rather than praises to God. Again, great songs but not in my view appropriate for sacrament meeting.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Jun 2019, 08:06

DarkJedi wrote:
30 May 2019, 06:11
SamBee wrote:
27 May 2019, 06:59
Most people are not aware of this survey and no deadline has been given. I have never heard it announced. Also it only applies to the English hymnbook.
About a year ago it was in church news and was prominently on the website. It's still on the site but you have to look for it. Here's a link to the original announcement, which also contains links to the survey and submission of your own music: https://www.lds.org/church/news/church- ... k?lang=eng The deadline for the survey and music submission is July 1, 2019. The new hymnbook is still years away.
I have never heard it mentioned in my ward ever. Nor have I seen it on Facebook or the website (may well have been on there, it passed me by). The only reason I'm aware of it is because of here.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Jun 2019, 09:29

SamBee wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 08:06
DarkJedi wrote:
30 May 2019, 06:11
SamBee wrote:
27 May 2019, 06:59
Most people are not aware of this survey and no deadline has been given. I have never heard it announced. Also it only applies to the English hymnbook.
About a year ago it was in church news and was prominently on the website. It's still on the site but you have to look for it. Here's a link to the original announcement, which also contains links to the survey and submission of your own music: https://www.lds.org/church/news/church- ... k?lang=eng The deadline for the survey and music submission is July 1, 2019. The new hymnbook is still years away.
I have never heard it mentioned in my ward ever. Nor have I seen it on Facebook or the website (may well have been on there, it passed me by). The only reason I'm aware of it is because of here.
I don't recall ever hearing it mentioned in my ward, either. But then again I'm not dependent on my ward/bishop (or stake/SP) to keep me apprised of every little change or news item in the church. If I want to keep up on what's happening it's up to me to keep up on what's happening. I don't look at the daily or even weekly, although most weeks I probably do hit it. I do consistently look here, at a few other sites where news is likely to be discussed, and at both the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune. The latter are usually how I find out about things, and I generally then follow up with the primary source (often the church website).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Daughter1

Post by Daughter1 » 01 Jun 2019, 09:56

They didn't do a very good job publicizing it. I remember when the survey was first announced, it was some music-geek friends who shared it on Facebook. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I think I'll take it again. I've taken it twice already. I had long lists of songs to add or keep, and fewer requests for removal.

In Our Lovely Deseret is the only one that I remember really wanting taken out. It feels Utah-centric and paints this cartoonishly perfect image of how children in the church should be raised. I like the chorus, but the rest of the song is frustrating and pedantic. I know I had a couple of others when I looked through my hymnbook. But I really do like most of the hymns, so I was much more vocal about additions than removals.

I had lots of requests for more Christmas hymns. There are so many beautiful Christ-centered Christmas songs that I would love to sing. If we had more options, hopefully we would sing them for longer in December than just two weeks. I think the ones I suggested included What Child is This?, Do You Hear What I Hear?, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, O Holy Night, and Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel. (One of the times I took it was around Christmas, so I went a bit crazy. :D )

My top favorites match up with the summary article's top 10 pretty closely and I probably voted on at least 8 of those. Since I did respond fairly early, I would guess they got me counted in these 400... A lot of my suggested additions came from songs on EFY CDs and from the TABCATS repertoire.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama