Overcoming the constant pursuit of fulfilment

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Overcoming the constant pursuit of fulfilment

Post by Roy » 21 May 2019, 08:47

SilentDawning wrote:
21 May 2019, 06:38
I think what I'm talking about here is the novelty of a certain project wearing off -- a project that once excited you.
Yes, I agree. I am involved in multiple volunteer endeavors. In the beginning there is exitement about meeting new people and doing something new. A major motivating factor for me is also the respect received when people observe my leadership skills. As you perform well more duties are shifted away from under performers and incrementally added to your plate. Eventually that respect and admiration morphs into responsibility and expectation. People no longer compliment you on the amazing job you did because that is just the norm. New people come into the program and they just assume that everything you do is part of your job because they have never known the way it was before you started with the program.

I also understand a project losing the novelty value. That is also a motivator for me. I just find that respect, honor, and admiration carry me much further than novelty.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Re: Overcoming the constant pursuit of fulfilment

Post by SilentDawning » 21 May 2019, 09:57

Roy wrote:
21 May 2019, 08:47
SilentDawning wrote:
21 May 2019, 06:38
I think what I'm talking about here is the novelty of a certain project wearing off -- a project that once excited you.
Yes, I agree. I am involved in multiple volunteer endeavors. In the beginning there is exitement about meeting new people and doing something new. A major motivating factor for me is also the respect received when people observe my leadership skills. As you perform well more duties are shifted away from under performers and incrementally added to your plate. Eventually that respect and admiration morphs into responsibility and expectation. People no longer compliment you on the amazing job you did because that is just the norm. New people come into the program and they just assume that everything you do is part of your job because they have never known the way it was before you started with the program.

I also understand a project losing the novelty value. That is also a motivator for me. I just find that respect, honor, and admiration carry me much further than novelty.
I see -- for me, the intrinsic value of the activity -- making amazing music, creating something beautiful, even the satisfaction of a flawlessly executed event -- become commonplace. The wonderous light disappears and it becomes a chore almost. I want the fulfilment, but I'm tired of the work!!! What a lazy self-actualizer I've become!

I think it just means its time for a break....
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young