Everything's on the table now

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Everything's on the table now

Post by Roy » 17 May 2019, 08:52

dande48 wrote:
17 May 2019, 08:22
A doctor who misdiagnoses or mistreats usually isn't being "dishonest" either. I strongly believe the prophets and Church leaders are being honest and have the best of intentions when presenting "revelation". If there are mistakes, they are honest mistakes. But when it's brought to light, that what you said under authority was false, and you seek to "cover it up", that is what I call both "dishonest" and "shady".
Except that they do so in their role as defenders of the faith. Are defense lawyers "shady" in their presentation of a plausible alternate narrative in defense of their client? Are PR people shady in how they seek to "spin" events? Because of the negative connotations associated with the term "shady" - let's agree to use less pejorative terms and let the matter drop.
Roy wrote:
16 May 2019, 09:36
2) I believe that top leadership also understands that they are playing a role as defenders of the faith. I assume that they are not to discuss details of whether or not they have seen Jesus lest they weaken the faith of those that feel such is a requirement for the office. I understand that once a decision is made it is the duty of each member of the quorum to present a united front. I understand that the Q15 are not to keep journals lest they later shed too much light on the inner workings.
I think we can all agree that the church leadership has been operating from a different mindset then perhaps a "warts and all" historian would use. They operate more like lawyers, PR people, or CEOs. That is reasonable and understandable without questioning their moral compass.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 17 May 2019, 10:21

Roy wrote:
17 May 2019, 08:52
I think we can all agree that the church leadership has been operating from a different mindset then perhaps a "warts and all" historian would use. They operate more like lawyers, PR people, or CEOs. That is reasonable and understandable without questioning their moral compass.
I question the moral compass of most all lawyers, PR, and CEOs. :lol: I don't trust them either. I guess part of me hoped the "True and Living Church" would be better than that.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 17 May 2019, 10:36

dande48 wrote:
17 May 2019, 10:21
Roy wrote:
17 May 2019, 08:52
I question the moral compass of most all lawyers, PR, and CEOs. :lol: I don't trust them either. I guess part of me hoped the "True and Living Church" would be better than that.
Exactly my issue. It was really hard to be treated by the church the same way impersonal, temporally-driven organizations treat their members and employees. You hear about miracles, heavenly visitions, high ideals, big promises in the eternities, only to find the same kind of CYA and organizationally egocentric behavior you see in non-divine organizations.

I have since decided they are just like any other temporal organization and expect far less. But in return, they get less from me. It seems fair and is conducive to inner peace.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young