De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Cadence

Re: De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Post by Cadence » 09 Jun 2019, 07:13

I use to have some 5 gallon buckets of wheat. Sort of silly what was I gong to do with it? We all live in a totally interdependent economy. If some kind collapse happens then we are all in the same boat. So if everything goes to hell there will be no one to turn the lights on and you can't cook your bread.

I do strongly believe in having enough on hand to last 30 days or so in the event of some sort of natural disaster. But if the lights are not back on by then it would be Chaos after that.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

BJE

Post by BJE » 09 Jun 2019, 18:30

When I was a kid in the 70’s not only was a years supply of food and fuel preached but also we were told we needed to be prepared to walk to Jackson county Missouri to build the new Jerusalem. When I asked why we’d have to walk I was told we’d have to flee on foot because there would be no fuel.

You don’t hear talk of walking to Jackson county anymore

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Jun 2019, 07:10

BJE wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:30
When I was a kid in the 70’s not only was a years supply of food and fuel preached but also we were told we needed to be prepared to walk to Jackson county Missouri to build the new Jerusalem. When I asked why we’d have to walk I was told we’d have to flee on foot because there would be no fuel.

Welcome to the church of 2019! Much nicer, isn't it? (And how, exactly, were you to carry those buckets of wheat [that you might not have known how to use anyway] to Missouri?)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Jun 2019, 15:36

DarkJedi wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 07:10
BJE wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:30

Welcome to the church of 2019! Much nicer, isn't it? (And how, exactly, were you to carry those buckets of wheat [that you might not have known how to use anyway] to Missouri?)
Yes, it is my observation that we no longer actively teach that stuff. By not actively teaching it I believe that people that believe in it with all their hearts and people that do not believe in it can more easily coexist in the same congregations. Some of the stuff we used to teach sounds cultish but I am sure that a number of the older generation would defend it vehemently if pressed. It was a fairly significant thing when Elder Packer said that young people of today should plan their lives as though the "end of days" would not occur in their lifetime.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13