De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: De-emphasis on Food Storage?

Post by DarkJedi » 16 May 2019, 06:43

SilentDawning wrote:
15 May 2019, 18:21
DarkJedi wrote:
15 May 2019, 15:13
SilentDawning wrote:
14 May 2019, 18:48
In another thread, it was mentioned that food storage might be de-emphasized now.

I would like to explore this further. Is this true? How do we know this, and what would be the rationale for it, if true, given the recent statements that the second coming is night? (it's always nigh)...

Interested in what people have to say.
When was the last time you heard it (or similar things like planting a garden) mentioned in GC?

I'm going to leave it at that for the moment, partly because I'm short on time, but if you're looking for that you might as well look for what has been talked about in GC. (Hint: since 2014 there has been a clear emphasis on one topic above all others and it has increased with every conference)
I'm the remedial student regarding emphasis at GC -- can you tell me what the topic is? All I can think of is preparing for the second coming.
What "the church teaches" comes up a lot here. The question in my mind every time the phrase is used is "How do we know what the church teaches? According to who?" I think the website is often referenced as a source for what the church teaches, but in my experience in working with the general membership in my own ward/stake almost nobody actually looks at the website. For example, I am tasked with doing training stuff on ministering somewhat frequently but hardly anybody has actually looked at the stuff on the website. I know I'm probably deluding myself, but I think people do pay more attention to General Conference and there is emphasis on teaching from General Conference. Hence in my mind General Conference is a better barometer of what "the church teaches" than other sources.

In situations like this BYU has a great asset. https://www.lds-general-conference.org/ Popping food storage in there gets you a hit from Linda K. Burton in 2014 referencing a story. Previous to that it was GBH in 2006, the only mention in the 2000s. Turns out it was never talked about a ton, but most frequently in the 70s and early 80s. I said this in another thread - the changes being made today seem to be to distance the church from the church of those days. The church was missing the mark then, and I think they recognize that and what leads me to that conclusion is that now the church is much closer to hitting the mark - the clear main topic in each GC, especially since 2014, is the Church of Jesus Christ talking about Jesus Christ. Curt mentioned the topic (and I appreciate that) and I've shared this before, but I like to share it so here it is again: http://www.ldsliving.com/The-Most-Commo ... er/s/86462

Here's another fun one to try on the BYU corpus: plug grace in there.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

dande48

Post by dande48 » 16 May 2019, 07:12

When I was young, I heard that the three "S"s were guaranteed to grab everyone's attention: Sex, Satan, and the Second Coming. Food storage ties in nicely with that last one; not to mention, former prophets were very specific in stating we'd one day need it. It makes people feel proud and excited. For many, I'd almost say they can't wait for the world to end, to show everybody how right they were all along.

Can you imagine it? The apocalypse has broken out, everyone is starving, and the faithful member benevolently shares their food storage with their neighbor. "Don't you wish you listed to the prophet, like me?" Of course, they'll be instantly converted. And when Christ finally comes, they'll get to walk over the corpses of all the haters, and Christ will embrace them and praise them for their faithfulness...

I think the Church has begun to move away from prophecy, and into advisement, at least as far as the GAs and Q15 are concerned. Of course, individuals and local leaders will still prophecy... but it'll be held up to much less scrutiny, doesn't have the backing of the Church heads, and can be easily written off if it's bizarre or doesn't come true. That's what happened with food storage. It went from prophecy to "advisement".
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 16 May 2019, 07:31

I think a lot of it also comes from stake and ward goals, which are often heavily influenced by area authorities, which are in turn influenced by leaders higher up the chain of command.

If you have a SP whose pet project is food storage you'll probably hear about food storage more than members in other stakes... and it could be merited. Stakes in more disaster prone areas (hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires) may make food storage more of a priority.

My observation over the years is that we tend to have a theme that we stick to for prolonged periods of time and that we fixate on the theme until fatigue begins to set in. At least that's my experience.

Food storage may have been one of those themes. I'll add FHE to the list. Back in the day it felt like every few weeks at church it would be, "Are you doing FHE? You should be doing FHE. What do you do to make FHE successful in your family? You should do FHE even if you don't have children." Now FHE comes up once every blue moon. Maybe because "ministering" is currently king of themes with "home church" as a potential challenger to the throne.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 May 2019, 10:05

I've noticed in my family a lot of put-offs from TBM's when I broach any subject that isn't downright faithful. At a family event, I asked my son-in-law, who works for the church, if he'd heard the church is de-emphasizing food storage. I mentioned I'd seen it on the bloggernacle for a while. He responded, "we don't pay any attention to that stuff".

Basically writing it off as an anti-Mormon conversation opener. I found it disrespectful and indicative of his underlying attitude toward me personally.

So, I guess I'll get my info here and where I can.

I think being prepared is good for us due to the prevalence of hurricanes, ice storms, snow storms, floods, etcetera. Not as a doomsday measure though. I enjoy watching Doomsday Prepper's -- that Netflix reality show. People are afraid of total system breakdowns, the poles of the earth shifting, tsunamis, earthquakes along the New Madrid fault through Tennessee, dirty bombs, and more. At the end, experts share the probability of these things happening, and the biggest one was an earthquake along American fault lines at 20% that is earth-shattering (literally). All the other fears have such a low probability, it's hard to take them seriously to the point you invest your life savings in a bug-out location, renewable food supplies, perimeter security and training, renewable water supplies, and more.

But I have to confess, hauling around a year's supply has been a huge hassle. Been doing it for 25 years for the basic stuff like wheat and rice.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 May 2019, 16:38

SilentDawning wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:05
I've noticed in my family a lot of put-offs from TBM's when I broach any subject that isn't downright faithful. At a family event, I asked my son-in-law, who works for the church, if he'd heard the church is de-emphasizing food storage. I mentioned I'd seen it on the bloggernacle for a while. He responded, "we don't pay any attention to that stuff".

Basically writing it off as an anti-Mormon conversation opener. I found it disrespectful and indicative of his underlying attitude toward me personally.
I think what you said was innocuos enough. I agree that his response seems to be unneccesarily defensive. "We don't pay attention to that stuff"? Who is the "we" in that sentence? I imagine that he hasn't heard that the church is de-emphasizing food storage because de-emphasis means that it doesn't get talked about. We don't hold meetings to de-emphasize things - we just slowly and quietly stop highlighting them until they fade away into our collective memory banks.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 May 2019, 21:11

Roy wrote:
21 May 2019, 16:38
SilentDawning wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:05

I think what you said was innocuos enough. I agree that his response seems to be unneccesarily defensive. "We don't pay attention to that stuff"? Who is the "we" in that sentence? I imagine that he hasn't heard that the church is de-emphasizing food storage because de-emphasis means that it doesn't get talked about. We don't hold meetings to de-emphasize things - we just slowly and quietly stop highlighting them until they fade away into our collective memory banks.
He and my daughter were "we". I have learned to simply speak to him when spoken to now as these kinds of barbs seem to typify conversation with him. I think I've sort of lost his respect given my activity level and non-TR holding status. I can only speculate.

Very happy their marriage is fine though; but barbs like that are unacceptable to me now. And I've received them more times than I can count whenever the subject of church comes up and I make no contrarion or objectionable statements. He also changes the subject whenever he thinks I am saying anything that could be remotely construed as negative toward the church. Even when there is no intent behind it (like above). I keep my mouth shut now.

The good part about children getting married in America is that you don't see them much. This is as they move around the vast land mass for jobs, school, etcetera. The bad part about children getting married in America is that you don't see them as much either (I realize these statements latter portions are equivalent).

But in the end, I'm just glad my daughter is happy being married to him and they seem very happy together....that's really all that matters. And I know not to talk about anything church related now that he's obviously determined to set tight boundaries.

I have to confess, when children set boundaries with parents, it can be hard. To me, it communicates a lack of respect when boundaries are drawn around subjects that don't seem to deserve boundaries. It's even harder when I believe that my actions, for years, have done nothing but support my daughter in her TBM desires. And having such, in my view, unwarranted boundaries come from younger people is harder as you get older -- at least for me.

Interesting, she called me a while back with testimony issues about the way gay people are treated in our church. I encouraged her to shore up her testimony, encouraged her to temper her unquestioning regard for policy as revelation, and told her to lower her expectations of the organization and its leaders. It seemed to help. I didn't encourage doubt, but simply listened and gave advice that I hope allows her to cope within her TBM world.

But this is a different topic, but I feel well-equipped after years of learning to live comfortably with unorthodox ideas in the orthodox world in which I live.

Back to food storage -- glad its deemphasized. I could stand to lose a lot of weight so a bit of starvation might be good for my blood sugar levels - if it turns out food storage really IS necessary after all for the long-term:)
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

harmon-y

Post by harmon-y » 25 May 2019, 22:41

I think another reason for the de-emphasis is the change to have the church be more acceptable world wide. There are regions where a year food storage is, if not impossible, a huge strain especially for members already learning to pay 10% tithing. I think of my family in El Salvador. They do not have space, money, or ability to keep a year of food along with the risk of it being ruined or stolen.

BJE

Post by BJE » 26 May 2019, 09:09

I think for practical reasons the church moved a few years ago from suggesting a years supply to suggesting starting with three months supply.

In some parts if the world regulations prohibit hoarding food and for many in poor countries it’s simply impossible.

Our ward had a preparedness meeting a few years back where we were given a list of what food was needed per person and how it would fit in so many five gallon buckets to stack for storage. I added up the buckets and calculated how much space it would take and came to the conclusion that most people wouldn’t have room in their house to store so much food.

Also, recommendations on many things were a bit crazy. Like needing say 1200 pounds of sugar. No family is going to eat that much sugar.

I think leadership is becoming more practical.

In most instances of disaster I’ve seen the food storage is lost anyway such as fire, flood, hurricane, tornado and earthquake.

The best use of food storage is for your individual needs if for some reason money gets scarce. However I think the best preparedness is a years supply of money

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 26 May 2019, 11:14

BJE wrote:
26 May 2019, 09:09
I think leadership is becoming more practical.
I think the leadership is becoming more focused on Jesus Christ and His teachings.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 May 2019, 14:11

BJE wrote:
26 May 2019, 09:09
However I think the best preparedness is a years supply of money
A year's supply of money is probably outside the reach of most. Although I do believe that an "emergency fund" for unexpected expenses is something all should work towards.
DarkJedi wrote:
26 May 2019, 11:14
I think the leadership is becoming more focused on Jesus Christ and His teachings.
Amen
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13