Ideas for Sacrament Meeting

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: Ideas for Sacrament Meeting

Post by nibbler » 09 May 2019, 06:59

I don't believe anyone set out with the goal of making our meetings torturous but I know many, many people that have a similar opinion to the people in Roy's examples.

If the meetings aren't filling someone's needs they may move into the model where they attend out of a sense of duty. Attending solely out of a sense of duty for a prolonged period of time usually isn't enjoyable for people.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 09 May 2019, 07:12

SamBee wrote:
09 May 2019, 06:39
I always maintain church isn't supposed to be torture. Even if you do think it's true.

Paid clergy are no guarantee of better entertainment, trust me. LDS talks are no worse than the sermons in many churches.
Well... you either need to offer a good service (i.e. be entertaining, engaging, effective), or have a monopoly. Most Churches that are not entertaining, claim to have a monopoly on salvation (us included). Being the "one and only true Church", we can get away with a lot more, than the more universalist Churches.
Last edited by dande48 on 09 May 2019, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 09 May 2019, 08:04

A long-ago, but related thread.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3948
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 May 2019, 09:21

dande48 wrote:
09 May 2019, 07:12
SamBee wrote:
09 May 2019, 06:39
I always maintain church isn't supposed to be torture. Even if you do think it's true.

Paid clergy are no guarantee of better entertainment, trust me. LDS talks are no worse than the sermons in many churches.
Well... you either need to offer a good service (i.e. be entertaining, engaging, effective), or have a monopoly. Most Churches that are not entertaining, claim to have a monopoly on salvation (us included). Being the "one and only true Church", we can get away with a lot more, than the more universalist Churches.
I've been to some major denominations' services which have been truly dreadful. Episcopalians have been among some of the worst I've heard, I've been left scratching my head at some of the vagueness and dullness of some of them. Not saying all of them are bad, but good grief! I've heard some on the radio that have completely lost me - one example I remember was by a Presbyterian woman, talking about an old lady dancing around. I wish there was more to it than that, but there really wasn't. In Presbyterianism, if you don't have a good minister, the entire service can become boring, because it is so dependent on them. A good sermongiver is great to listen to, but I've heard a lot of bad ones - mostly paid too.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."