And the fruits of coffee are . . .

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
felixfabulous

And the fruits of coffee are . . .

Post by felixfabulous » 30 Apr 2019, 08:06

So, last fall I tried a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte for the first time. It blew my mind, perfect balance of sweet and bitter and made me feel like I could conquer the world. I would occasionally stop and get one. After the holidays, I switched to vanilla or hazelnut lattes and have finally worked my way up to enjoying black coffee, which is much healthier.

There are two negative things about this secret habit: 1. Having to be sneaky, luckily my spouse has been supportive and doesn't care, but I have to look over my shoulder for people I know and hope no one from my ward spots me and also avoiding my older kids seeing me; 2. The cost adds up and I'm trying to decide how to make this more affordable and feasible (the answer is brewing my own and I'm trying to figure out if that would work with family members, etc.).

Other than that, it's been a great thing. 1. I feel really good, like I can conquer the world, very optimistic and happy in the mornings when I have coffee. 2. It is an appetite suppressant, I eat less before lunch when I have it; 3. It seems to aid digestion; 4. I love the ritual of sipping and enjoying it while I read the news, I don't know if I've experienced a way to stop and enjoy the mornings in the past, it's not the same with hot chocolate or herbal tea; 5. It's weened me off of soda (once I switched to black coffee) and now Coke doesn't taste as good and I don't crave it. 6. It tastes great with savory breakfast foods (don't love the pairing with sweet stuff).

Now I am highly conflicted, I really enjoy it and feel like it is a positive addition to my life. But, I don't like sneaking around and feeling like a hypocrite with ward members. Anyone else found themselves in this dilemma?

I blame my genetics, my late Idaho grandma was a lifelong temple recommend-holding closet coffee drinker.

nibbler

Re: And the fruits of coffee are . . .

Post by nibbler » 30 Apr 2019, 08:52

I have it on good authority that they'll be announcing something that you may love during the October '19 general conference.

Look for it right after the announcement that tells all those extremely patient missionaries how long their mission will be.

:P
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Apr 2019, 11:32

First off, if you're to drink coffee - which I don't recommend except as a shortcut to heart attacks, insomnia, bowel cancer and epilepsy - don't drink Starbucks. Their stuff is really frothy. Go for one of the better independents.

Giving up coffee is one of the best things I've done along with quitting alcohol. My sleep patterns are good now for one, and depression and anxiety have decreased. That and I have less tooth decay.
It seems to aid digestion
It doesn't. It is a diurectic and removes water from your body. It is also a major cause of bowel trouble and will harden your stool, which can cause all kinds of troubles down there.
nibbler wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 08:52
I have it on good authority that they'll be announcing something that you may love during the October '19 general conference.

Look for it right after the announcement that tells all those extremely patient missionaries how long their mission will be.

I heard that about the last conference too...
Last edited by SamBee on 30 Apr 2019, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:36

Well you are a step ahead of our family. My husband tends to be bold and just started drinking coffee. It threw me for a loop - that's a mild response. Ironically my non-temple connected grandmother drank coffee (smoked cigarettes, too). I adored her. The smell of brewing coffee is romantic to me. I never thought less of her. Ever. But temple worthy, EQP, Seminary teacher, valiant missionary ZL does it and I flip. My world crashes. I can barely function.

Now a decade later, it's part of his day. My family works through it silently. They don't even mention it to me, but I know them enough, to know they are internally working on it. The good news is, tons of members I know get coffee shop drinks and don't think twice about it. There are tea's, cocoa's, steamers, you name it. So if anyone caught you, don't worry they likely had a cup o' something, too.

And as to Nibblers insight. Don't hold your breath. If we did away with the WoW - we really would be Christian and not until pigs fly is that going to happen.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Apr 2019, 11:45

mom3 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 11:36
And as to Nibblers insight. Don't hold your breath. If we did away with the WoW - we really would be Christian and not until pigs fly is that going to happen.
We aren't the only church with a health code, by the way. I don't think it plays either way to be honest in that sense.

The WoW is one of the best things this church has.

If we wanted to make the LDS more mainstream, then probably elimating secret ceremonies and latter-day scriptures would be the way to go.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 30 Apr 2019, 12:14

nibbler wrote:

I hope that good authority is divine and foolproof. I was really disappointed about this one last session. My wife and I were ready to sign up for starbucks cards and had a trip planned.

The more they can get rid of nuisance rules the better. I never believed that abstaining from coffee and tea was somehow a great idea. Now, harmful drugs, alcohol, tobacco -- makes sense. But not those other two.

Please don't disappoint me Nibbler! You're my only hope (implying Star Wars).
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 30 Apr 2019, 12:28

nibbler wrote:

Haha.. I laughed out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee right then, or I would have spewed the brew (sbrewed?) all over my keyboard and monitor.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Roy

Post by Roy » 30 Apr 2019, 16:08

My doctor told me that the only beverages she wanted me to consume were water, coffee, and tea. I do not imagine that coffee and tea are without negative health affects but there appear to be trade offs.

How to implement a coffee habit into a Mormon family and community is another challenge altogether. I recommend being completely transparent with your spouse. You can determine jointly with her how much to inform your kids.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 01 May 2019, 09:57

Not to change the subject. In our community, there is a coffee shop somehow connected to the Evangelical Church next door.
The name of the shop is: Holy Grounds.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 May 2019, 11:30

The name of the shop is: Holy Grounds.
Brilliant!!!
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman