My Best & Worst List

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: My Best & Worst List

Post by Roy » 29 Apr 2019, 09:51

hawkgrrrl wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 11:08
Gerald, your list is close to my own list. The only thing I'll add on YSAs is that the biggest symptom of this problem is the infantilizing of YSAs, and that the church's focus on "family / marriage" is the root cause. There's this weird assumption that a married 20 year old is somehow capable of chaperoning the activities of unmarried 26 year olds. Marriage =/= maturity and singledom =/= immaturity.
I think this also has to do with sex and single people in general not being able to be trusted because they do not have an approved outlet for sexual urges. I once read a book by an LDS woman that went through a divorce in the church in the early eighties. Her description of her interviews with her bishop after the divorce were pretty insulting in the patronizing way that it was assumed that now that she was divorced that she could not be trusted sexually.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: My Best & Worst List

Post by hawkgrrrl » 02 May 2019, 19:47

Roy wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 09:51
hawkgrrrl wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 11:08
Gerald, your list is close to my own list. The only thing I'll add on YSAs is that the biggest symptom of this problem is the infantilizing of YSAs, and that the church's focus on "family / marriage" is the root cause. There's this weird assumption that a married 20 year old is somehow capable of chaperoning the activities of unmarried 26 year olds. Marriage =/= maturity and singledom =/= immaturity.
I think this also has to do with sex and single people in general not being able to be trusted because they do not have an approved outlet for sexual urges. I once read a book by an LDS woman that went through a divorce in the church in the early eighties. Her description of her interviews with her bishop after the divorce were pretty insulting in the patronizing way that it was assumed that now that she was divorced that she could not be trusted sexually.
Counterpoint: maybe that bishop was a weirdo who thought "Hey hey hey, I can ask this divorcee inappropriate questions. La la la la."