Tom Christofferson on the policy change and Easter

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Tom Christofferson on the policy change and Easter

Post by Roy » 24 Apr 2019, 15:30

I think it might be helpful to clarify that the author of the referenced article is not Todd Christofferson the LDS apostle but rather Tom Christofferson, Todd's brother who is also gay. I initially assumed that the article was written by Elder Christofferson until I looked closer.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

rrosskopf

Post by rrosskopf » 28 Apr 2019, 03:05

SilentDawning wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 08:39
We are expected to do all kinds of things because everything is inspired. Yet there are "unanswered questions" about people who are not main stream sexually oriented our religion can't answer.
We are asked to take leaps of faith to discover whether something is inspired. Look at the brass serpent. See if you are cured. Pay an honest tithe. See if it doesn't improve your relationship with the Lord. Go to the temple. See if it doesn't improve your sense of fulfillment. Minister to others. See if it doesn't bring joy into your life. Repentance is a leap of faith.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Apr 2019, 11:02

The deepest struggles occur when someone does all they are asked / expected to do and do not have things happen as they are promised things will happen.

When, "I promise in the name of the Lord," doesn't result in the fulfillment of the promise, that is when faith becomes a true crucible.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dande48

Post by dande48 » 28 Apr 2019, 11:49

rrosskopf wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 03:05
We are asked to take leaps of faith to discover whether something is inspired. Look at the brass serpent. See if you are cured. Pay an honest tithe. See if it doesn't improve your relationship with the Lord. Go to the temple. See if it doesn't improve your sense of fulfillment. Minister to others. See if it doesn't bring joy into your life. Repentance is a leap of faith.
Many people have taken such leaps of faith. But what about those who fall and crash? Are we supposed to take only the words of those who survived?

With the LGBT, there have been many over-the-pulpit doctrines taught that have had disasterous results when "tested". There have been teachings that if parents are faithful in teaching their kids the gospel, it will prevent them from being gay. There have been teachings that certain "bad practices", such as masturbation, are responsible for turning young men gay. And there been other teachings that if you do "struggle with same sex attraction", that if you have enough faith, struggle and try hard enough, and trust in the atonement, such feelings can be conquored.

Any many people have trusted in these things. Many have taken "leaps of faith". Many have felt that being gay is your own "fault", or your parents "fault", and if you have enough faith you can overcome them through the mercy and grace of the atonement. And when those feelings persist, it only makes them feel worse. This has lead to suicide on no small number of occasions.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 28 Apr 2019, 13:27

rrosskopf wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 03:05
And when you do those things, and only bad things happen -- there are lots of explanations why. These explanations from traditional believers are often affirming the truthfulness of the faith. Most of them leveled on failings of the person who exercised faith.

I think this issue is hard to debate as there are two towers from which the issue can be viewed -- from one of faithfulness and from one of doubt. How each person got to their respective tower defines the tower they are on, and both are valid.

I was once on the tower of faith, believe me. I have viewed this from both towers.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Apr 2019, 19:47

Admin Note: Let's make sure we stay on the topic of the original post. I helped change the focus in my response, so this message is for me, as well.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken