Your Answer May Come Right Away...

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Kipper

Your Answer May Come Right Away...

Post by Kipper » 06 Apr 2019, 10:20

Answer to your prayers may come right away or a day later. Your answer may come not in the way you hope for, it may take a month or years, your answer may not come in this lifetime at all.

Doesn't that just about cover all possibilities? This is what faith is? I can never get past this without disappointment and a step back when I here it.

Arrakeen

Re: Your Answer May Come Right Away...

Post by Arrakeen » 06 Apr 2019, 11:24

When I hear things like this I always wonder, of what use is prayer when answers come in some form we don't recognize? Wouldn't God give us an answer we understand? It all seems pretty pointless to me. I think for some people this kind of faith just brings comfort. Comfort that whatever happens is part of the plan, we just don't recognize it, or the answer just isn't here yet. A sense that everything will work out for the best. Covering all possibilities allows for this sense of comfort even when things are bad and don't get better.

But personally, I would much rather get answers when I need them and in a form I can recognize.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 Apr 2019, 12:09

This is where a pile of grace is needed. Those speaking have never, ever had the crushing blow like a faith crisis. In their lives the story always turned out right. That doesn't make them wrong, it just doesn't give us a smooth answer. In a weird way, though they don't know it, they need our love even more.

We have a gift of living with not getting the right answer. And yet we move forward.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2019, 13:40

Fwiw, that description matches my experiences, generally.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Apr 2019, 13:54

I do understand where you are coming from but I do feel like some of my prayers have been answered in the past.

I have had a big dispute over the past two weeks or so, partly alluded to in the hypocrisy thread I started. I have been to the temple, and I prayed about this twice, and the answer has been "do nothing," each time, very clearly. The more I think about it, the more this answer has made sense, since when I tried to defend myself it made things worse, and they won't accept apologies either. So I don't engage with it and am not reading what is being written about me. I know some of you might think this came out of my own head, but it's honestly a better answer than some of the others I came up with.

On the subject of romance and my career, I really haven't noticed the answers. On others I have.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Apr 2019, 12:34

I too have felt like I received answers to prayers sometimes quick and sometimes long after the fact.

However, similar to the discussion on blessings, if we broaden the definition of what constitutes as a blessing to be almost anything and broaden the timetable to be almost anytime then what we are really saying is that blessings are in the eye of the beholder.

God will always answer your prayers and The promised blessings will come in God's timetable! True statements … from a certain point of view. ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 08 Apr 2019, 12:44

They are covering all their bases. Most prophecies and promised blessings work the same way. Specifics don't work well in religion.

That being said, I think there is comfort in believing if you don't receive an answer, or a requested "blessing", you don't really need it after all.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

rrosskopf

Post by rrosskopf » 08 Apr 2019, 17:27

That isn't really the message I would like to hear either. Why doesn't God always answer prayers immediately? I have come to a couple of conclusions, take them for what they are worth.
Sometimes people want an answer for the wrong reason. Sometimes people ask amiss. Sometimes people have hearts and minds that are far away from God. Sometimes people truly want an answer, but won't accept the responsibility. God doesn't bother to answer idle curiousity. Sometimes people ask questions which ultimately are unimportant, and history will play out the same whether they receive an answer or not.
Personally, I have received answers to hundreds of questions. The single most important thing, in my opinion, is to pour out your heart when you pray, and the second most important thing is to listen for an answer. Make sure that you put aside enough time. Dont expect a $50 answer from a $2 prayer. Set goals to increase both the quality and the length of prayer. The brother of Jared didn't see the finger of the Lord because of a 3 minute prayer.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 Apr 2019, 09:01

Kipper wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 10:20
Answer to your prayers may come right away or a day later. Your answer may come not in the way you hope for, it may take a month or years, your answer may not come in this lifetime at all.

Doesn't that just about cover all possibilities? This is what faith is? I can never get past this without disappointment and a step back when I here it.
I found having hope that a miracle would happen was frustrating. It was like sucking air. It would not make me happy. Rarely did the things I pray for unlock, and they would go on for decades -- and some still do.

I find it better to simply "prepare for the worst and hope for the best". I ask for things, but only when my own efforts have failed or i think my whole life is about to tank due to circumstances beyond my control. When I pray, it's more about feeling a connection with God than any structure.

So, you pray for what you need, or what others need, work for it to happen if you can (sometimes there is nothing you can do), but don't expect it to occur. None of this massive visualization, psych-up stuff like you read in Drawing on the Powers of Heaven by Grant Von Harrison. It's action that creates change, so I exercise faith only to the extent it motivates me to action, with some vague, but un-expectant hope that God might help me. And I am careful about what I tackle. If the project is clearly not going to be successful without effort that is beyond what I feel I can/want to give (after a reasonable period of trying), I'll abandon it for something else challenging, but apparently more attainable.

There is just far too much uncertainty in God's willingness to act, even if I believe whole heartedly and with full faith in Him. When He doesn't deliver, in spite of my best efforts, the disappointment is way more devastating and frustrating than getting what I asked for, in most circumstances.

Again, my goal is inner peace/joy/happiness, and unfortunately, the kind of pschye up approach to prayer and faith apparently advocated by enthusiasts and traditional beleivers (some of them) doesn't make me happy. A balanced approach -- acknowledging God may help, but not expecting him to, while working as hard as I can to make the event happen is what is important.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Apr 2019, 09:34

And, sometimes, people's spiritual experiences aren't what others expect through no fault of their own, including effort, sincerity, and intent. Trying to assign blame to those who don't receive answers to their prayers goes directly against pretty much everything that was said in the actual talk that prompted this thread.

Sometimes, even often, righteous, faithful, diligent people don't receive answers to their prayers.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken